Cornish Thread

Pics
triplejfarms, it's a pretty well accepted fact that you have to be more than a little off to raise Cornish, and most of us figure it"s usually a good move to be polite when dealing with crazy people.

yuckyuck.gif

It's getting to be the time of year we could all use a few pictures to look at. Here's mine. These are bantams.

Last edited:
For the more recent joiners, here's a link for the 1905 APA SOP for what were then called Cornish Indians. The APA had them in the 'Games and Bantams' class back then.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1H...&q=standard of perfection for cornish&f=false

I think everyone should breed their birds to suit themselves, but I got interested in Cornish because they are a heritage meat breed and happy to aim towards the current standard. Long before 1905 the Indian Game had proved a disappointment in the pits, so were being bred for meat and show.

P.S.: At that time the original color [now called darks] were Cornish Indians as opposed to White Indians, and were the only two accepted colors..

Last edited:
Just to clarify that the present day type Cornish has been around awhile, there are some photos, taken by Arthur Rice in the 1930s, towards the bottom of the page at this link:

http://www.poultryphotos.co.uk/asil_indian_montage.htm

[They're copyrighted, so not to be uploaded.]

Just a bit more history for inquiring minds; in the 40s our federal government sponsored a contest with a goal of finding the best chicken to feed Americans. Several growers entered their heritage breed chicks, but the Van Tress brothers were the over-all winners of the contest with a cross made of Cornish males over the rapid growing and disease resistant New Hampshires. Shortly later, and with antibiotics and vaccines coming into play along with the American public's preference for the cleaner appearance of white feathered poultry, Cornish X Delawares and Cornish X White Plymouth Rocks were the popular choices and thus began the decline of heritage breeds. [Lines composed of already cross-bred birds were developed to parent the chicks ran in and out of feeding facilities that could produce the most meat in the shortest time. By the time I was a kid, only a few farms kept a flock of chickens for either meat or eggs.]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom