1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jx2inNC, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue Out Of The Brooder

Harrumph! Who is calling who crazy here? I resemble that remark!

I have used zip ties, but I find the nice coloured ones I have are weak and will break off.

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    [​IMG]

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's getting to be the time of year we could all use a few pictures to look at. Here's mine. These are bantams.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. Rhode Island

Rhode Island Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Australia
    Isn't Cornish the more modern name for Indian Game? Anyone know?

5. triplejfarms

triplejfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    i think so? in the old SOP books they used to call them indian game if i recall correct...? they used to have longer legs as well... like these guys [​IMG]

6. triplejfarms

triplejfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    very nice!![​IMG]

7. Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue Out Of The Brooder

Gootziecat, I love the type on your RLW. Have you been breeding them long or are they a new breed for you?

8. Cedarknob

Cedarknob Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    For the more recent joiners, here's a link for the 1905 APA SOP for what were then called Cornish Indians. The APA had them in the 'Games and Bantams' class back then.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1H...&q=standard of perfection for cornish&f=false

I think everyone should breed their birds to suit themselves, but I got interested in Cornish because they are a heritage meat breed and happy to aim towards the current standard. Long before 1905 the Indian Game had proved a disappointment in the pits, so were being bred for meat and show.

P.S.: At that time the original color [now called darks] were Cornish Indians as opposed to White Indians, and were the only two accepted colors..

9. Cedarknob

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    [​IMG]

10. Cedarknob

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    Just to clarify that the present day type Cornish has been around awhile, there are some photos, taken by Arthur Rice in the 1930s, towards the bottom of the page at this link:

http://www.poultryphotos.co.uk/asil_indian_montage.htm

[They're copyrighted, so not to be uploaded.]

Just a bit more history for inquiring minds; in the 40s our federal government sponsored a contest with a goal of finding the best chicken to feed Americans. Several growers entered their heritage breed chicks, but the Van Tress brothers were the over-all winners of the contest with a cross made of Cornish males over the rapid growing and disease resistant New Hampshires. Shortly later, and with antibiotics and vaccines coming into play along with the American public's preference for the cleaner appearance of white feathered poultry, Cornish X Delawares and Cornish X White Plymouth Rocks were the popular choices and thus began the decline of heritage breeds. [Lines composed of already cross-bred birds were developed to parent the chicks ran in and out of feeding facilities that could produce the most meat in the shortest time. By the time I was a kid, only a few farms kept a flock of chickens for either meat or eggs.]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by