Cornish Thread

Pics
So I touched base here before Christmas, then things got real busy real fast. I have had bantam Cornish for a couple years, and scouted out some large fowl last month. Here is one of the adult roosters. I have some youngsters from another breeder but no pictures yet.

Last edited:
So I touched base here before Christmas, then things got real busy real fast. I have had bantam Cornish for a couple years, and scouted out some large fowl last month. Here is one of the adult roosters. I have some youngsters from another breeder but no pictures yet.
thumbsup.gif

I remember reading that Brother Wilfred used birds from flocks he was charged with keeping, those bred for the meat and eggs for the school/monastery up there in Canada, to develop the Chantecler, and that Dark Cornish was one of those breeds he used. That bit of information helped convince me to get involved in raising standard Cornish. [I'm of a mind that prefers a practical purpose to justify keeping and breeding poultry rather than breeding for show looks only.] I figured if Cornish could be kept to produce meat in Canada back in those days, they would work here now for me as a self-sustaining meat breed also.

thumbsup.gif
Nice!

I wouldn't say that we always have to keep our birds in the warmest of conditions, I think with proper management Cornish do just fine in the cold. Our chicken coop is just a plywood building no insulation, or heat lamps.

birds go outside to drink, and we give a little scratch outside, and keep the bedding clean and dry.

He is pretty meaty, Cedarknob. My problem is having a warm enough place for them. They are in the above 0 Celsius pump house right now. This summer I need to get a warmer coop made for them.
where do you keep your other cornish sue? mine are in my red coop with a heater, i keep it about +2 in there.... mine seem fine, waiting for my pullets to start laying so i can get incubating

where do you keep your other cornish sue? mine are in my red coop with a heater, i keep it about +2 in there.... mine seem fine, waiting for my pullets to start laying so i can get incubating
Our winters aren't as extreme as yours, but mine live without heat with days here that seldom rise much above 0 on the C scale during the winter. They have three sided, tarp or plywood shelters in which to get out of the wind, snow, or freezing rain, but no heat or artificial lighting. So far the coldest night has been around 5 F [-15 C]. I had two Cornish that laid a few eggs in Dec,, which went to the 'bator in hopes of hatching some with a tendency to lay during the winter months. I am skeptical about hatching any; my past experience has been that the cockerels have drops in both libido and fertility in cold months, plus the eggs were pretty chilled when I gathered them.................................. so far I've only had about 50% of the eggs from my project pen [which are all F1 crosses of Ameraucana over commercial broilers, soft feathered, and fair layers in the winter] develop, and none from the pens where they were under a pure Cornish male.

My wlr bantam Cornish pullets have started laying in an unheated building with no lights to extend daylight. Since I felt lights were needed to get winter eggs, this pleases me.

The white large fowl came from a breeder who kept the coop at +10 degree Celsius. I was warned not to put them outside without acclimatizing them.

My bantams are good quality and tough little beggars to boot. They have a heat lamp and that is it. They weren't happy but I didn't lose any at -30 degrees Celsius.

It is important to give them lots of access to open water in freezing temperatures. A dehydrated bird freezes faster.

Back
Top Bottom