Cornish Thread

I'm having a good day today...just being chatty.
hugs.gif

I feel confident that Linda knows what the true color is.
thumbsup.gif

My post did sound like I might have been doubting what lpatelski said the colour was, not at all, but what I meant was that to find the genotype sometimes test breeding helps.

Okay I found a better definition of splash. I was under the impression a splash had more than just a few small flecks of color. So Splash is any Black or Blue showing.
What is Splash
A double dose of Blue (Bl/Bl) will give Slash. Splash can exhibit as nearly white, with random flecks of Blue and/or Black. It can also exhibit as a mid range Blue with dark Blue and/or Black random flecking.

So all my pullets are born splash as a sexlink in this pairing; some stay white, some go what I assume is the lavender color. This would mean that Bam Bam - Dark Cornish would be carrying a Lavender gene and Betty - Murray McMurray Cornish roaster (solid white) would also be carrying a lavender gene.

Being a recessive gene, lavender has to be present in pure form (2 doses) in a fowl to be visually observable. Black birds can carry the lavender gene without showing any traces of it.
Lavender is an autosomal gene so not sexlinked both male and female inherit it the same way.

Chicken Color genetics are not my strong suit at this point. I am finding out slowly.

So Lavender breeds true and BBS will not. It will be interesting to find out. I am not breeding for color at all, but it would be nice to have some funny colored meat chickens.

Last edited:
Lavender would havelikely come from an outcross somewhere in the past- it was identified in bearded Belgian D'Uccles in the '70's but now it's in a number of breeds including Orpingtons, silkies, bantam Brahmas and Wyandottes.
The blue mutation dilutes black to various shades of grey (blue), but leaves red pretty well unchanged, some say it makes red a little lighter. Lavender dilutes both black and red to a pale grey and buff. A Dark Cornish with the lavender gene would be a stunning bird! It's always possible that a mutation can occur so in theory it is possible that lavender could appear spontaneously in Cornish.
big_smile.png

Here's a link to what lavender does to partridge bantam Brahmas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630082/lavender-brahma

My F1's are Dark Cornish crossed with Cornish Roaster crossbred.

My Dark Cornish are from a breeder who shows his stock. He is breeding for a pure black line as well as the standards.

The Hen is a Murray McMurray White Cornish Roaster(WCR)

F1 stock 50%DC/50%WCR females showing lavender or white, all females are black splash 100% like a sexlink.

My F2 crosses are the colorful chicks.
#1 F2 cross is 3/4 Dark Cornish 1/4 WC Roaster made with Bob(50/50)

paired with my pure Dark Cornish hen Marion.

Colors: white and red

White and Blue

And black/blue with red

Cross#2 is 50%DC/50%WCR bred back to the same.
Cock bird "Redmen" white showing red

Lavenia is lavender splash

Colors are:
Mostly White with some having splash spots.

and Dark Blue

Lpatelski my dad once had a cornish x rooster with some barred rocks and they came out white but with a grayish/bluis tint and some black feathers here and there. Ill see if he has any left. I wonder is thats the lavender youre describing

Okay, I know there are "lethals" in dogs and horses. These are color patterns like double merals in dogs. In paint horses, overo and the lavender color is a lethal. Is there any patterns and, or color combos that would cause chicks to die while developing or shortly after hatch?
I haven't heard of any, just wondering.

Yes there are a number of lethal genes in chickens, most kill the embryo before hatch or shortly after. The Ear tufts gene Et found in Araucnas is lethal in it's pure form (individual has 2 copies of the gene). The creeper gene Cp found in some breeds like Scotts Dumpies and Japanese bantam is another lethal gene. The creeper gene when impure (bird has only 1 copy of the gene) gives a short legged bird (of varying lengths of leg), but in pure form the embryo dies. But as far as colour goes, I'm unaware of any (common) genes associated with death, linked to colour in chickens. Maybe someone else knows of any?

Back
Top Bottom