Cornish Thread

My hen has been setting over a week now. 13 eggs the other day and today another hen is sitting half on top of her still using the same nest box.

We learned quickly to re-locate all birds that weren't settled in to their own nests.

J.

ETA: This will be our last year with brood hens. All hens that were broody this year will be soup by next year. It has truly been a learning experience and lessons were well absorbed.

Last edited:
I've had 3 outta 9 hens all that have set, hatch out a batch without a hitch so far this year. Until this go round. If I lose a few eggs it's still better than my incubator percent I've been getting. And I work on the road. I leave tomorrow for 2 wks. Broody hens are less work for the GF to take care of while I'm gone.

Hellbender I know your not a fan of the broodys. I have a large critter problem. Less now that I moved. I have a very large turn over rate and like coming home to 12 new chicks to make up for the 2 less hens. She the GF has got a skunk and a 5 foot black snake out of the coop while I was gone this year. And a lot of possums out of the traps. I was getting 30 coons and possums a year at the old house next to the river. A coon hunters paradise. I'm not a coon hunter. I thinking about tying my male pup up by the coop now that he's bigger. Was wanting him sold 2 months ago.

Hellbender I know your not a fan of the broodys. I have a large critter problem. Less now that I moved. I have a very large turn over rate and like coming home to 12 new chicks to make up for the 2 less hens. She the GF has got a skunk and a 5 foot black snake out of the coop while I was gone this year. And a lot of possums out of the traps. I was getting 30 coons and possums a year at the old house next to the river. A coon hunters paradise. I'm not a coon hunter. I thinking about tying my male pup up by the coop now that he's bigger. Was wanting him sold 2 months ago.

Your situation is certainly understandable. In fact, we're not totally out of the broody business either. We still have a 50%CX sired by a Dark Cornish setting on 11 eggs, about half of them are pure DC and the rest are from the setter and the same DC cockerel. Hope that makes sense.

I'm interested in keeping a cockerel or 3 of the .75% stock, provided they materialize.

J.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom