Cornish Thread

Any cornish breeders here ever crossbreed the cornish to make meat birds ? I have been into experimental mode trying to get a meat cross with std cornish as a base the other half was Black copper maran.

The chicks were hatched by a surrogate black game hen ,the cornish hens seemed to clumsy and broke eggs ,so i removed them daily the surrogate game hen hatched all 14

I bought some cornish X w rock. And I have pure bred dc
and white cornish, l like the pure white cornish better than the others. But I'm going to cross the white c
with the dark c and see how they do.

So you were able to get the roaster white cornish to lay ,,then get those outstanding birds out of a Dark Cornish rooster ?thats a great bunch of chickens.
Thank you.
thumbsup.gif

Yes, its not easy getting the White Cornish Roasters to maturity. You have to limit feed them. My Murray McMurray hen "Betty" was hatched 2/6/2015, so for her type of meat chicken, she should be on her way out. But she is hanging in and even lays more and larger eggs than my Pure Dark Cornish girls! One more oddity, she went broody this year. You could not ask for a better meaty hen.

Looking good you guys. Been off line for a while trying to get up to date on all the projects. Weighed my Barred Rock X Cornish Cross hens roosters that hatched on April 26...smallest weighed 7lbs 9 ounces and heaviest one 9lbs 13 ounces. Problaly taking the smaller ones to local Tractor Supply to sell at their chicken swap. Theyre not 4 months yet and crowing like crazy! Waiting on my Dark Cornish x Cornish Rocks to mature some

Sounds like you got a winning combination Sambat. I haven't been able to top the barred crosses. I really like their finished carcass confirmations. Too me they are easier to pluck also.

Back
Top Bottom