Cornish Thread

I AM NOT seeing this size out of the Cornish std x maran ,mine are not thick they are more Gamefowl shaped ,so back to the drawing board i will have to try the fast grower cornish rock pullet method like others have used on this thread.

Ok maybe a dumb question here, but are you judging by looks mostly, or are you physically grabbing and getting a hold of these birds. Many people are fooled on the weight/bulk of Cornish because they look smaller due to their tight feathering, might apply to crosses as well.

yeah the ones from hacheries are even slower to mature
hmm.png

With my dark cornish I hatch atleast 80% cockerels. This last hatch I hatched out 7 and they were all cockerels. Keeping the 2 best ones just in case but hope to be getting a rooster soon.

Ok maybe a dumb question here, but are you judging by looks mostly, or are you physically grabbing and getting a hold of these birds. Many people are fooled on the weight/bulk of Cornish because they look smaller due to their tight feathering, might apply to crosses as well.
maran over slow broiler. Ugly.... and shows the oriental game in the maran makeup. Not a heavy bird. But that ostrich can RUN

Planning on ordering some show quality too. Im thinking of making a Cornish Rock x Saipan or Shamo

That's where our breeding plans diverge. I personally see no reason to deal with 'show quality' birds if I'm planning to use a Saipan or other Oriental type bird for a cross. You both know essentially what I have and they are far more than adequate for my purposes. No, they don't have the finer points of SOP birds but neither are they so squat and ungainly that they can't even oil their own feathers and they have a bit more leg than the show stock, in fact, some of them have quite a bit more.

Along with the leg, they do have plenty of breast and other qualities in sufficient abundance to produce excellent meat birds on their own or turn out glorious capons. But...that's why they make different kinds of ice cream...I eat only Breyers but others must have Haagen Daz or perhaps Ben and Jerry's.

frow.gif
thumbsup.gif

Edit for spelling...I just got home from a 14 hour shift at work and a 1.25 hour drive home.
th.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom