Cornish Thread

Quote:
Awesome, thanks,, I gotta get the bambino down for a nap then I'll have a few minutes to concentrate on that. -erin-

WOW, i was WAY off, my large Roo only weighs (on human scale in my arms) 4 lbs.
off to take more pictures. so I probably have bantams huh.

No, bantams only max out a 2-3 lb.. and your birds don't look bantam... My bantam Cornish are tiny little chunky things...

I'd say you have either hatchery stock, or partial hatchery stock...

How do you post a picture? I'll post one of a trio of bantam young stock that I took last night...

No............. at that wieght he's not a Banty, but when you said 10lbs I thought no.......... couldn't be he just didn't look that big and when they do get that big you sure can tell. I still think their hatchery birds, WTS you still have some options if you want to raise the breed to a better level on the birds you now have to improve them.

Quote:
My mother is going to bring over her kitchen scale to get a more accurate weight on these guys. he was between 3.6-4.0 depending on who held him...I was told when I got them that they were standard size, I wasn't really worried about it then because at that time I was only looking to raise them to eat and they are still pretty meaty and stocky little things.

Quote:
WOW, i was WAY off, my large Roo only weighs (on human scale in my arms) 4 lbs.
off to take more pictures. so I probably have bantams huh.

No, bantams only max out a 2-3 lb.. and your birds don't look bantam... My bantam Cornish are tiny little chunky things...

I'd say you have either hatchery stock, or partial hatchery stock...

How do you post a picture? I'll post one of a trio of bantam young stock that I took last night...

at the top of the screen chose "upload", then just copy and paste URL into body of message once they are uplaoded.
wink.png

99923_img_0181.jpg

Not the best picture, but it was a quicky last night just before dark.. Maybe I'll take a pic tonight with the door open so you can better see the bird(s).

They are about 2/3 grown...

Quote:
My mother is going to bring over her kitchen scale to get a more accurate weight on these guys. he was between 3.6-4.0 depending on who held him...I was told when I got them that they were standard size, I wasn't really worried about it then because at that time I was only looking to raise them to eat and they are still pretty meaty and stocky little things.

My guess is that they're over-sized bantams, sometimes referred to as "tweeners", and they or their ancestors originally hatchery breds sold as bantam Cornish. Regardless of their weight, and though not up to the standards necessary to win in good competion, they are nice, meaty looking, little birds, and what you might expect to find, and even winning, at small, county fair type shows. We all start somewhere, with what we have; but if you decide to breed Cornish bantams for showing or sale, you might want to seek out advice and then some stock from a well established breeder of them.

I'll try to get photos of some of my dark Cornish this weekend. Their legs aren't as short as some of the show birds I've seen, but for their age they seem to be pretty chunky. They've been steadily growing on me ever since I hatched them out.

Yay!Cornish thread! my favorite. i used to raise some dark bantams and I had standard hens in my broiler projects. I really loved my bantams only had them a short time and then had to sell everything when moved across state. i have some wlr cornish bantam eggs in the bator and im looking for some Standard cornish eggs to hatch for broiler project for my own personal use and consumption. I was so excited to finally see a real picture of a spangled cornish bantam, SWEET, love her.

Ladylibra,
Here's a very young bantam Dark Cornish pullet gifted to me by her breeder; he referred to her as a crippled dunk. She's no where near the quality he keeps to breed, and had been tossed out with the large fowl birds that free range his property. She lacks the width between her shanks, and also over-all body width, depth, and shank girth of what he breeds...................... yet you can get an idea of what they are supposed to look like.

44349_cornish_032.jpg

44349_cornish_031.jpg

44349_cornish_030.jpg

Back
Top Bottom