Cornish Thread

Pics
Walt,

I will get buffs on point. I already took first in crossroads beating 4 other buffs from California.
Congrats. I obviously misunderstood your post about buff bantams being a project of yours, sorry about that. I have heard "project" tied to a new color being bred into a breed so many times that I thought it was what you meant.

How about we talk Cornish and stop the bickering.

Walt

Walt , thats a Sharp headshot of what I am sure is a nice bird! I really like his eye color.

SPEAKING OF WHICH....being fairly new to Cornish compared to others....I would like to hear how and when you think the breed lost its grips on the PEARL EYE?

From research, its was the crossing non- asil breeds that causes the infusion of the red/orange eye and for the Cornish to lack the nice pearl eye. I know for a fact that there are other Asil crossed breeds, such as Brazilians, that have still managed to maintain the gold to pearl eye trait. So it's a rather sore point with me.

I don't buy the environmental factor argument one bit. I know that's going to not sit well with some but my experience with Orientals is that the environment doesn't change the eye color, even with Brazilains. Brazilians have Spanish gamefowl blood which is posses dark red eyes. Perhaps, the Cornish is unique in that it's eye color is more easily influence by the elements rather than breeding.

I know it's a bit of a debate but still would like to hear your opinion on the topic?

Walt , thats a Sharp headshot of what I am sure is a nice bird! I really like his eye color.
SPEAKING OF WHICH....being fairly new to Cornish compared to others....I would like to hear how and when you think the breed lost its grips on the PEARL EYE?
From research, its was the crossing non- asil breeds that causes the infusion of the red/orange eye and for the Cornish to lack the nice pearl eye. I know for a fact that there are other Asil crossed breeds, such as Brazilians, that have still managed to maintain the gold to pearl eye trait. So it's a rather sore point with me.
I don't buy the environmental factor argument one bit. I know that's going to not sit well with some but my experience with Orientals is that the environment doesn't change the eye color, even with Brazilains. Brazilians have Spanish gamefowl blood which is posses dark red eyes. Perhaps, the Cornish is unique in that it's eye color is more easily influence by the elements rather than breeding.
I know it's a bit of a debate but still would like to hear your opinion on the topic?
I'm not Walt, and not an experienced Cornish breeder.

I don't buy the environmental factor either, unless they mean the Cornish's environment is a pen shared with other breeds. LOL A long time breeder of DCs told me that many of the breed's true characteristics have suffered from crosses to Wyandottes in an effort to improve lacing or bantam Wyandottes to get bantam Cornish started and improved. He said they once hatched as light colored chicks with stripes [wheaten based] but most now hatch as dark colored chipmunks [partridge at the E locus]. However, none of his bantams I saw had a true pearl eye, and my DCs hatch as wheaten based but do not have what I call pearl eyes, just lighter colored eyes than some I've seen. I have not checked it lately, but one of my juveniles from my WC over a DC has a mix of yellow and grey pigment in its eyes that look to be pearl [if they do not change as it matures]. I like many of my other juvies better, but will keep it if the eyes stay that color. Personally I'm glad about the APA being reluctant to change the SOP on heritage breeds. Registries for many breeds of livestock have programs for registering animals that permit introduction of characteristics needed for whatever the current commercial markets are asking for, and even then there is evidence that some breeders have introduced outside blood and hung papers on the offspring to try and pass it as a pure bred with a more modern look.

I'm not sure about this, but think WLRs [with the dominant white, single lace] have to be partridge based to get their color correct and breed true. I'm just newbie with a little bits of info that I can remember [at times] from what I've been told or read, and very little actual experience. My father used to tell me to believe nothing I hear or read, and to believe that only about 50% of what I think I am seeing with my own eyes is actually correct. :)

CK,

Thats interesting to hear about the Wynadotte infusion. I guys its possible. I have spoken to many people about trying to put together a small flock of pearl eyed birds in attempt to strengthen the trait.
Many have told me that it wouldnt happen. So being the person that I am, I am still going to do it. Just because I can and because I like the look of Cornish with pearl eyes.;)

Paulo..
Whenever someone can't make a chicken the way they are supposed to be they want the Standard changed to fit the junk they raise. I have lots of experience listening to their excuses. It is environment, it's this or that. Truth is they don't know how to make pearl eyes. It is not an easy thing to keep them pearl but that is not an excuse to change the standard that has been in place for 100 years. Anyone who crosses a wyandotte with Cornish to accomplish somehthng is just asking for all the problems that come along with that kind of thing. Cornish are the hardest breed I know of to improve...the we have all these people hybridizing them and selling them as Cornish..that does not help anything.

This is where the pearl eye came from in the beginning.....

Walt

That's one thing I find a bit amusing about my hatchery Dark Cornish. Type it doesn't have, but pearl eyes, it does. (Meyer's)

Yup! If a hatchery can do it by accident, why can't a Cornish "breeder" do it?

Walt

Yes sir! I feel the same way.

It just a bit frustrating, talking with some VERY well know and successful breeders, to hear that..." it's not worth it" or " it's impossible". In the back of my mind, knowing what i know of Orientals and Oriental grades, I am thinking..."seriously".

I don't dare argue with them because I value their opinions, expertise and time. But that was one area I felt that I would try to improve or at least focus on with breeding this little " meatballs ", as my daughter like to call them.

Yes sir! I feel the same way.
It just a bit frustrating, talking with some VERY well know and successful breeders, to hear that..." it's not worth it" or " it's impossible". In the back of my mind, knowing what i know of Orientals and Oriental grades, I am thinking..."seriously".
I don't dare argue with them because I value their opinions, expertise and time. But that was one area I felt that I would try to improve or at least focus on with breeding this little " meatballs ", as my daughter like to call them.

Bob Jones will be at Ventura in Oct. Talk to him about the eyes. Not too many people that know more about pearl eyes than him.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom