Cornish Thread

Pics
Was up to Dad's a week or so back. He had decided it was time to give up his Cornish (large fowl whites), and had contacted a local guy who has meddled in Cornish for several years. I went up to help catch and load the birds. Of the 8 female and 5 males, one female did have a slightly orangish cast to her eye, the rest had good clean light eyes, a few had a almost blue white eye. For the first time in over fifty years there are no Cornish on his place, or chickens of any kind for that matter. But I have a half dozen or so young chicks I hatched late out of his birds (wearing rings) running with my youngsters if he should get to feeling better. Or if he feels like taking a walk on the wild side I could set him up with some colored birds that could use some work.

Interesting looking Heintz 57???

A question, to the LONG TIME CORNISH BREEDERS,........Are more WHITES show/seen with pearl eyes????

From what I've leaned here, if the birds have some structural flaws such as a bit crow headed, lack body depth, or eye or leg color is weak, you're supposed to say:

Quote: and/or

Quote:
wink.png
lau.gif

Walt, while I appreciate the judge's eye you have, I don't think think this thread here at BYC is a score card for you to be making a public, written evaluation of other's birds. Perhaps it would be better, if you want to teach folks what to look for on good Cornish, if you can show pictures of your own birds and where you fault them, or wait until someone asks you to critique their bird.

Last edited:
From what I've leaned here, if the birds have some structural flaws such as a bit crow headed, lack body depth, or eye or leg color is weak, you're supposed to say:

and/or

wink.png
lau.gif

Walt, while I appreciate the judge's eye you have, I don't think think this thread here at BYC is a score card for you to be making a public, written evaluation of other's birds. Perhaps it would be better, if you want to teach folks what to look for on good Cornish, if you can show pictures of your own birds and where you fault them, or wait until someone asks you to critique their bird.

I guess I didn't realize you were moderating this thread.
wink.png
People post here to get feedback. I take my licks, so can you and him. If folks want to post crap birds here I will evaluate them. You don't like his birds either. His whites have the same terrible underline, they look like RIR with a brick shaped body. I have posted pictures of my birds..knock yourself out evaluating them. One of them was the APA National Champion chicken overall. Go to another thread and you can play touchy feely and talk about "Projects". What color do the legs on his bird look to you? I gave him the benefit of the doubt and that is why I looked to see if there was any yellow when I enlarged the picture. I am not the only one with critizisms here, but I am one of the few that know anything about Cornish..

fyi: I don't care if you appreciate my judges eye or not....the reality is I am a judge and I'm not posting off the wall stuff like some people that pass through here.
wink.png

Walt

and/or

wink.png
lau.gif

Cedar,

I appreciate what your saying but there is the DIRECT approach or the BEAT AROUND THE BUSH approach. Yes, there are many ways to get from point A to point B. I prefer the simple, direct, honest approach. Then we know what needs to be improved and move forward.

I like coming here because there are knowledgable and experience Cornish breeders on this thread and not just backyard, fly by night flockers, like some of the other threads.

It is my opinion, that when we put our birds up for public display (ie internet, show ring or for sale) we do not do it with "thin" skin. There are very few GREAT birds, many good birds and lots of culls.

Just my opinion....

Back
Top Bottom