cornishx with splayed legs

KickinRocks

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
I have a batch of 3 week old meaties. One chick has developed splayed legs that stick out to the sides so that he is unable to stand. He is being walked on by the other birds but they are not picking at him at this point. I've seen him eating and he must be drinking, but it's obviously a strugle for him to get around. Should I cull him now or see if he can hold on for a couple weeks in order to make a usable size?

personally, i would cull. i'd think he's probably suffering, and it will only get worse with time and further growth. plus he'll have a pretty good chance of developing sores where he's touching the ground, which could get infected and make the meat unusable anyway. sorry =/

Yes, just cull him:( . I wouldn't make him suffer. This is exactly why I am chosing not to do these guys again. I haven't had a problem with legs, but I don't ever wanna see an animal suffer like that, even if I am going to eat it. It's just sad.

This exact same thing happened to me with two of my cornish cross birds. I also debated. I delayed on the first one because it was eating. It was ultimately trampled to death by the others. The other one was larger and older, but it stopped walking much and did not eat all day. I culled it and after I plucked its feathers I saw the deep dark greenish/purple bruising on its legs. It must have been horribly painful for it to walk. It was hard for me to cull a little one, but I'm so glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom