Coronation vs. Light Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Jan 19, 2011.

  1. BeardedLadyFarm

    BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    If I'm seeing any black marking on chicks at about 3 weeks, these will be my lights or splits, correct?

    Or do Coronations start with some black markings as well? I'm seeing some black on the tail and the wing on all but 2, and I'm trying to clear out all but the Coronations before the next batch hatches!

    Thanks!
     
  2. jmagill

    jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

    473
    13
    143
    Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    No black on the Coronation at all.

    I am about to hatch my first batch from a Coronation rooster with spit hens. I was wondering how old they would be before I could tell what they will be.
     
  3. BeardedLadyFarm

    BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    As I suspected...

    Looks like my 25% chance of getting splits, is more like a 75% chance! At least I still have 2 that are looking free of black! (Now they'll be probably be boys [​IMG])
     
  4. jmagill

    jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

    473
    13
    143
    Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Are yours splits on splits?
     
  5. BeardedLadyFarm

    BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    They were shipped eggs. I thought all coro Roos and about 1/4 split hens and 3/4 coro hens.

    I know is have to hatch 1000 birds for the odds to work properly... 7 isn't much of a sample size.
     
  6. aceschix

    aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

    4,526
    53
    248
    Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Could you PM me and let me know where your eggs are from? I just set three batches of shipped Coronation and splits. Would be interesting to compare %'s.

    Thanks.
     
  7. BeardedLadyFarm

    BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Could you PM me and let me know where your eggs are from? I just set three batches of shipped Coronation and splits. Would be interesting to compare %'s.

    Thanks.

    I'll have to find out details. My friend gave me the chicks after she hatched them. I have more from another seller in the incubator now! (and I think a third batch on the way)
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by