Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

We are all exhausted around here like normal after a night of neighbor fireworks. But I am thankful for the full moon last night which helped the animals through some of the worst fireworks since we moved here. I'll be picking trash up out of the pastures for weeks and I'm sure egg production will halt for a few days as well.
Thankfully none of the firework embers that hit me while I was out trying to calm the boys, or hit the barn were very hot but I could hear them pinging off my barns and trees like a mini hail storm.

The worst though... it's been hot and dry all week and a neighbor up behind my house started a fire near the property line in their pasture. Why, I have no idea. It was 80 degrees out and nobody was around. But it was close to my house and right next to a bunch of felled trees on their property that the utility company took down 6 months ago. I was so busy trying to keep the boys calm and watching for fires over my front pastures from fireworks that I didn't initially realize how quickly things were getting out of hand up behind the house.
Thankfully another neighbor called the fire department when things got out of control, before I could run for my own phone, and nothing got to my property.

It shouldn't anymore, but the selfishness, stupidity, and total lack of concern for others from people still amazes me.

We are all exhausted around here like normal after a night of neighbor fireworks. But I am thankful for the full moon last night which helped the animals through some of the worst fireworks since we moved here. I'll be picking trash up out of the pastures for weeks and I'm sure egg production will halt for a few days as well.
Thankfully none of the firework embers that hit me while I was out trying to calm the boys, or hit the barn were very hot but I could hear them pinging off my barns and trees like a mini hail storm.

The worst though... it's been hot and dry all week and a neighbor up behind my house started a fire near the property line in their pasture. Why, I have no idea. It was 80 degrees out and nobody was around. But it was close to my house and right next to a bunch of felled trees on their property that the utility company took down 6 months ago. I was so busy trying to keep the boys calm and watching for fires over my front pastures from fireworks that I didn't initially realize how quickly things were getting out of hand up behind the house.
Thankfully another neighbor called the fire department when things got out of control, before I could run for my own phone, and nothing got to my property.

It shouldn't anymore, but the selfishness, stupidity, and total lack of concern for others from people still amazes me.
I'm glad that you and your family are okay. Thank goodness!
It is true... some people are just... terrible. It can be amazing over and over again, no matter how long you've been seeing stuff like that.
Again, I'm really glad that you're okay. :hugs

(I apologize ahead of time for the book ... there's a lot going on ... )

I'm with you, there! Now we have the Independence Day celebrations ... beach parties ... family pool parties ... new graduates finally comfortable enough to have delayed graduation parties ... concerts ... really? CONCERTS? Are these people certifiably NUTS?
Florida is close to lockdown again. I have cousins who live in Myrtle Beach. It's not official, but they fully anticipate lockdown again, too, but AFTER the Fourth. It seems the businesses need to get their money's worth - and a hard-core lesson in consequences - first.

I'm having a real problem with the whole back-to-work scenario. I'm a full time substitute teacher, and I have contact with many. many students from four different schools. Two of them are elementary. Even if we do go back full time in September (which I don't anticipate,) I'm having an existential crisis over returning to the job I absolutely love. The best part of my work is the hugs I get from the little ones. They're always so excited to see me - and I LOVE the open affection. The thought of having to stop them, mid-run, chokes me up. It's already happening when I see them around town. The older ones start to come to me, then remember and stop, with an awful look on their faces. The little ones - on the rare occasion that they're out and about - simply don't understand.

So - with all that in mind, I've had to make a life-changing decision. Covid forced me out of my beloved role, so I'm going to try to use Covid to get a new one. Tomorrow, I start online training to become a Covid Tracker. There's no guarantee of a job, but lots of opportunities. I'm hoping that my people skills and my motivational background in Scouting will give me an edge.

Here's where you all come in, please. It's a self-paced program - which I'm usually good with ... but it's also a start-when-ready program ... which I am NOT good with at all. I'm one of those who talks a good game and will finish what I start ... but getting started is a challenge, and if I get side-tracked (Oh Look ... a BUTTERFLY!) I can have a hard time re-starting.
So, if I could ask, please hold me accountable for starting and finishing this class. And if you would ... a few prayers of encouragement for this drastic life-change would be very, very welcome ...
I think that is an amazing change of course! Taking a bad and making it positive is still a bit beyond me and this point, but you give me hope GF! Enough so that I poked around a little bit about it.
One of the things I so loved about kiddo's teachers were the ones who realized what a happy lovebug kiddo was and didn't try to change that. Instead of crushing the compassion for others, some teachers respected it and I thank teachers like yourself who recognize
the individualism of a child in this cookie cutter world.

So, how was the first day of the course? Ready for the second one yet? No? Get it in gear GF!!

(...sorry for the late reply....it's been really busy here too)

I'm glad that you and your family are okay. Thank goodness!
It is true... some people are just... terrible. It can be amazing over and over again, no matter how long you've been seeing stuff like that.
Again, I'm really glad that you're okay. :hugs
Thank you! And me to!

I think the hardest part was that kiddo was concerned to see flames from the back window of our home. Every child should feel safe in their own home.

I'm curious as to why you or your husband didn't call the neighbors who were being irresponsible with the fireworks or the neighbor who was irresponsible with the fire?

Yikes! Glad all turned out well. Sigh, when my son was about 17 he decided to "help out" by burning off some weeds on the property, without asking... started six or seven little spot fires before I realized what he was doing.. this was about dusk on a hot summer evening. April in NM. I went out and asked him what he was doing, where was the hose, that sort of thing. Don't worry Mom, I got this. Yeah, you got this, I told him. You'll get it at 2 am when the volunteer fire department comes out here to try to put out pasture fires all around us! Four am, standing beside him on the road, me keeping my mouth shut while the fire department is putting out fires including our tool shed, he says to me, I hate it when you're right, Mom.

I'm curious as to why you or your husband didn't call the neighbors who were being irresponsible with the fireworks or the neighbor who was irresponsible with the fire?
Because previous attempts to reason with said people over the same activities were ignored or were received with tantrums about their right to their liberties. Everyone else be da**ed.

Unreasonable people generally are unable to follow reasonable discourse, for whatever the reasons behind it.

Because previous attempts to reason with said people over the same activities were ignored or were received with tantrums about their right to their liberties. Everyone else be da**ed.

Unreasonable people generally are unable to follow reasonable discourse, for whatever the reasons behind it.
PM me their names and addresses. I know some guys who know some guys, who, for a small donation, will have a little talk with "said people"....if you know what I mean! :thumbsup

Yikes! Glad all turned out well. Sigh, when my son was about 17 he decided to "help out" by burning off some weeds on the property, without asking... started six or seven little spot fires before I realized what he was doing.. this was about dusk on a hot summer evening. April in NM. I went out and asked him what he was doing, where was the hose, that sort of thing. Don't worry Mom, I got this. Yeah, you got this, I told him. You'll get it at 2 am when the volunteer fire department comes out here to try to put out pasture fires all around us! Four am, standing beside him on the road, me keeping my mouth shut while the fire department is putting out fires including our tool shed, he says to me, I hate it when you're right, Mom.
Oh no! 😳

Thankfully (hopefully?) he learned his lesson early.
Well before the point of saying "Hey Bubba, watch this!" or worse..."Hold my beer..."

Back
Top Bottom