Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

We're getting a refugee, later today. DD's buddy lives one street over from the river and can't get home from work. When her Mom took her in, this morning, her car floated on the way back home. She barely made it back. She's okay in the driveway, but can't move beyond it, now. The poor kid will walk to our house when she gets off. I'd go get her, but they just shut down the bridge over "my" creek.

How is she going to get across the creek if a car gets floated away crossing it?
Praying for you and yours

Keeping all of you in my thoughts as you deal with this storm.

Pandemic and hurricane, who says The Maker doesn't have a sense of humor.

DH was watching me yesterday as I made out a HyVee Grocery Isles on Line order for a month's worth of perishables/meat/milk/ice cream....more ice cream. Yeah, you can see what is really important in our household. He commented that it was pretty convenient ordering groceries on line, then driving up to the store and having them load the order in the back of our van for us.

I have to admit that I don't miss grocery shopping in person at all. It saves me a lot of hassle doing it this way plus keeps us both safe. I told him I may probably never shop in person again thanks to the convenience and safety.I am 67 years old and on top of it immuno-compromised so I just don't need the risk.

Our pharmacy mails my RXs to me and between Walmart.com and Amazon Prime we are able to get things we want and need delivered to our gate.

The only thing I truly miss is going to the nearby Salvation Army and The Crossing thrift shops. I get most of my stay at home jeans and tops there at reasonable prices, find blankets for the dogs to lay on and whatever other 'junk to you treasures to me' that I can find. I really miss doing that but two years ago I got bronchitis/flu while in the Salvation Army so I was wearing a mask even before it became mandatory for survival.

Do I think things will ever get back to normal? No, unfortunately I don't but as long as I can order groceries on line and get everything delivered to the house I don't mind the new normal too much.

Do I think things will ever get back to normal?
Yes in a few years everyone will forget about it.
After all, the 1918 flu masks were worn... and when San Francisco said it was okay to take them off, it started up again.... People forgot about it and It seems like history is doomed to repeat itself.

Holy Cow are we WET?!!?!!

So far, so good.

DS put in a splitter, last night, so the sump pump can run without taking down the full freezer. So far, so good. Pump's been running, but not constantly. That's a good sign ... but likely won't stay that way much longer ... the stuff's really coming down. We have two very bedraggled roosters who have not figured out that quarantine is over and they can rejoin their buddies in the bachelor run, but other than that we're dry enough and in pretty good shape at the moment.

Apparently that's not the case elsewhere in town. We're getting a refugee, later today. DD's buddy lives one street over from the river and can't get home from work. When her Mom took her in, this morning, her car floated on the way back home. She barely made it back. She's okay in the driveway, but can't move beyond it, now. The poor kid will walk to our house when she gets off. I'd go get her, but they just shut down the bridge over "my" creek. It runs directly behind my place, so I can't leave without crossing it. The weirdest part is that, unless you look out back from my highest window to view the rising creek, everything looks like a normal, heavy rainstorm. One of the deceptive benefits of living on the high point of town, I guess.

So. for now at least, so far, so good. The sky is totally clouded, but daylight-bright, but it's raining like a mother-bear. The winds are shifting like wild then going dead for minutes at a time before starting all over again., but most of our :stuff" is secured. The tornado watch is lifted ... for now, but the tropical storm warning stands "until further notice." Sirens are going off like crazy - every twenty minutes or so and there have been three flooded vehicle rescues in the last two hours - one with a "boat grab" to take people out and another, currently in progress, has just requested a "swift water rescue team." It's in the middle of a major highway. This is CRAZY ... and people iz STOOPID!

I was just about to add that we still have power ... but that just flickered.
And so it begins ...
:fl:fl Hope the power stays on and people can get to where they need to get for safety!

Thinking about everyone in the storm's path. I've been through many hurricanes and near tornado hits. Don't like it one bit! Hugs to all...:hugs

Yeah, we've definitely got a repeat of 1918 happening and lots of people know it. You want to know what to plan for long-term, look at what the rich people and the people in power are planning for.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/business/companies-work-from-home-2021/index.html

Summer 2021 is my best guess for when there will be enough viable vaccines and enough hospital management for it to not be a serious problem. Like, it takes 14 months to make a vaccine in the USA, even fast-tracked. There have been some trials going on for a few months, so next year seems about right.

Winter is gonna be a little rough.

Yes in a few years everyone will forget about it.
After all, the 1918 flu masks were worn... and when San Francisco said it was okay to take them off, it started up again.... People forgot about it and It seems like history is doomed to repeat itself.

True but for me personally it won't get back to normal until I'm off the immuno suppressing medication that I have to take. 5-10 years and I'm only on year 2 of the treatment. Hopefully the pandemic will be behind us by then. But even if it was all to end tomorrow I'd still be having to avoid people and wear a mask, especially during cold and flu season.

Yeah, we've definitely got a repeat of 1918 happening and lots of people know it. You want to know what to plan for long-term, look at what the rich people and the people in power are planning for.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/business/companies-work-from-home-2021/index.html

Summer 2021 is my best guess for when there will be enough viable vaccines and enough hospital management for it to not be a serious problem. Like, it takes 14 months to make a vaccine in the USA, even fast-tracked. There have been some trials going on for a few months, so next year seems about right.

And the people who maintained and cleaned the work places that no longer are used will have to look for other work.

Not sure who will get priority to get the vaccine first... There's a lot of people in the world or even the USA. Might take years to get all who wants it vaccinated. And there's talk that it may need a couple shots close together along with a regular booster

And here is an article on the possible future. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-change-life-baby-boomers-seniors/5548821002/

Go figure. Shakes head.
I feel ya, my daughter thinks Gson needs the social interaction and the schools "have a plan" We had been a little more insulated here, Abilene has just over 100,000 pop and we would have 3-4 here and there 60 active, ok I deal. Then they started opening up :barnie we jumped to 400+ active in very short order, the mandatory mask order is gonna help but of course you have those who are still just gonna "be themselves" so time will tell. Not sure using the kids as Guinea pigs is our best option🐣

Screenshot_20200804-132353.png
Screenshot_20200804-132416.png
Screenshot_20200804-132435.png

Back
Top Bottom