Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I have like 5 friends because they are loyal. Others I’m all set with. I keep my circle tight
Oh wow that’s awesome! 🥰 I have a lot of like acquaintances 😂🤣 IRL ones are far less LOL although some of my online friends are better friends/I am closer with than most of my IRL ones 😂🤣🙈 mostly cause I never see the IRL ones lol

I dunno. We retired almost 7 years ago. Both of us medical professionals which means we worked with the public most of our careers.

Personally, I don't miss people at all,:idunno don't miss talking on the phone, don't miss putting out brush fires. Friends are always talking about getting together or 'calling' me. Ummmm can't you just drop me an email or text instead?

For the past three years I've been dealing with medical treatments for serum negative RA and moderate to severe osteoarthritis/porosis. The treatments have left me susceptible to infections. People, at least a large percentage, are really careless about spreading whatever they have, not understanding, IMHO the true science behind the spread of disease. People are still suffering from the Cleopatra syndrome, you know 'Queen of De-nial'.

Granted, if people are young and in good health, for the most part they are recovering without too much difficulty. "I'm not high risk" they say but don't realize that if they are on a bus or in a subway car with a bunch of old people, asymptomatic but contagious, all they have to do is breathe to infect everyone in their vicinity.

Take what is happening now with covid. Young people gots to be young people. They have to go to parties, get together with friends. They do not understand the concept of silent spread, that a person can look well and feel well and still be spreading the virus.

I read one story where a young lady went to a party with friends, then went and visited her grandparents. Both grandparents got sick along with the young woman. Her grandfather died while she was in icu intubated.

Granted, the world can't stay shut down forever but for the most part people seem to have shed their common sense like my cats are shedding hair right now.

In the mean time, I'm content sitting here on our 29 acre wooded park/farm, fishing in our ponds, playing with our dogs and cats, taking care of my chickens and watching this spring's chicks grow and away late summer chicks hatching later this month.

Live does go on. It just goes on better where we are safer, namely, home.

I dunno. We retired almost 7 years ago. Both of us medical professionals which means we worked with the public most of our careers.

Personally, I don't miss people at all,:idunno don't miss talking on the phone, don't miss putting out brush fires. Friends are always talking about getting together or 'calling' me. Ummmm can't you just drop me an email or text instead?

For the past three years I've been dealing with medical treatments for serum negative RA and moderate to severe osteoarthritis/porosis. The treatments have left me susceptible to infections. People, at least a large percentage, are really careless about spreading whatever they have, not understanding, IMHO the true science behind the spread of disease. People are still suffering from the Cleopatra syndrome, you know 'Queen of De-nial'.

Granted, if people are young and in good health, for the most part they are recovering without too much difficulty. "I'm not high risk" they say but don't realize that if they are on a bus or in a subway car with a bunch of old people, asymptomatic but contagious, all they have to do is breathe to infect everyone in their vicinity.

Take what is happening now with covid. Young people gots to be young people. They have to go to parties, get together with friends. They do not understand the concept of silent spread, that a person can look well and feel well and still be spreading the virus.

I read one story where a young lady went to a party with friends, then went and visited her grandparents. Both grandparents got sick along with the young woman. Her grandfather died while she was in icu intubated.

Granted, the world can't stay shut down forever but for the most part people seem to have shed their common sense like my cats are shedding hair right now.

In the mean time, I'm content sitting here on our 29 acre wooded park/farm, fishing in our ponds, playing with our dogs and cats, taking care of my chickens and watching this spring's chicks grow and away late summer chicks hatching later this month.

Man, that sounds amazing! I wish I had a nice area like that hahah I do have plenty of animals to hang out with though. :D

And that’s really sad about that lady’s family. :( seems people have no common sense these days! Bet she’ll feel guilty about that for a while though. :(

I’m with you on this

Our doctor that's been leading the virus response has been consistently distancing herself from it for a few months now as our governor made stupid choices and today she just quit.

It's also been announced that K-12 should be masked in school. XD They had the WHOLE summer to announce that so kids could get used to masking and they didn't. Now people will have to mask their young kids and ship 'em off and just hope they keep it on.

Holy Cow are we WET?!!?!!

So far, so good.

DS put in a splitter, last night, so the sump pump can run without taking down the full freezer. So far, so good. Pump's been running, but not constantly. That's a good sign ... but likely won't stay that way much longer ... the stuff's really coming down. We have two very bedraggled roosters who have not figured out that quarantine is over and they can rejoin their buddies in the bachelor run, but other than that we're dry enough and in pretty good shape at the moment.

Apparently that's not the case elsewhere in town. We're getting a refugee, later today. DD's buddy lives one street over from the river and can't get home from work. When her Mom took her in, this morning, her car floated on the way back home. She barely made it back. She's okay in the driveway, but can't move beyond it, now. The poor kid will walk to our house when she gets off. I'd go get her, but they just shut down the bridge over "my" creek. It runs directly behind my place, so I can't leave without crossing it. The weirdest part is that, unless you look out back from my highest window to view the rising creek, everything looks like a normal, heavy rainstorm. One of the deceptive benefits of living on the high point of town, I guess.

So. for now at least, so far, so good. The sky is totally clouded, but daylight-bright, but it's raining like a mother-bear. The winds are shifting like wild then going dead for minutes at a time before starting all over again., but most of our :stuff" is secured. The tornado watch is lifted ... for now, but the tropical storm warning stands "until further notice." Sirens are going off like crazy - every twenty minutes or so and there have been three flooded vehicle rescues in the last two hours - one with a "boat grab" to take people out and another, currently in progress, has just requested a "swift water rescue team." It's in the middle of a major highway. This is CRAZY ... and people iz STOOPID!

I was just about to add that we still have power ... but that just flickered.
And so it begins ...

WE SURVIVED ... but Holy Cow ... are we WET!

DD and I went walkabout for a bit, just to see what was going on around us ... and I am ex-TREME-ly grateful, once again, to be on the high ground! Folks here all agree that this one is worse than either Floyd or Sandy - and both were really, REALLY bad! After our brief tour, I;d have to agree. Roads were blocked at both ends of town. We watched two water rescues as people & pets were removed from a two-story apartment building just a short walk away. If you watch the links below, the bridge where the reporter talks about water going from 1 foot deep to 10, is literally 100 yards off my back property line, as the creek flows, so to speak. The water is so shallow there that there's an old millrace (relic of a defunct lumber mill 200 years ago) where kids catch herring to fish and sell to the local bait shop. The little park there is literally named "Herring Snatchers Park! It's across from where the reporter is standing. The picnic tables threatening to float away are usually a good 15-20 feet from the water - and the stone bridge abutment is well beyond the water line. SCARY!

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/08/04/isaias-flooding-cecil-county-maryland-tuesday-latest/

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/north-east-being-evacuated-for-flooding/33512504

Pics from our walk:

Despite what you are seeing, there is NO CREEK in this picture. It's all field. The creek is still a good 10-15 yards to the left.
Isa Back pre-creek.jpg

To the left of the pic above, we find "the creek." See the shadow in the way back? rght before the open water? That's the creek bank closest to my house. It's a four foot drop to a short, sandy beach and massive rocks we call "the picnic rocks," 'cause they're the perfect place to have lunch!
Isa Back Creek nobank.jpg

This little stream is usually a trickle you can step over with no difficulty at all. The uprooted mass of trees to the right is usually a good 8-10 feet from the water's edge, with a wonderful little pebble beach the kids love to play on.
Isa BridgeC3.jpg

A storm drain manhole cover on Main Street. No, it's not propped up. The only thing holding it four inches above street-level is rushing water!
Isa manhole.jpg

My grown children used to play under the shade of this massive tree when they were small. It is usually well off the edge of the trickling creek it grows beside. It sits across from and slightly upstream of the massive uproot (which is the smaller of the two along that particular creek, today.) I only took pictures of these two trees because I'm afraid they won't be there the next time I visit. The ground is THAT saturated and the water still rushing. If they go, there will be massive tears at my house!
Isa Sch Creek1.jpg

This is a view from the high ground of North East, MD ... my front porch ... showing my "bone dry" driveway. I've had a puddle out front, IN the driveway, but NEVER a pond right here. I am EVER so grateful that the eye skipped us. I don't want to even begin to imagine the damage if it had been a direct hit!

Isa Driveway.jpg

Ouch!
@MROO - 4 " of rain /hour here. Sump pump in the new section of the cellar became overwhelmed, and cellar started flooding. I have two other pumps in the old section but had to move the Princess's impending projects to 'safe ground' and do some squeegeing. Things slowed down a bit and sump stopped overflowing, but rain is picking up once again. Supposedly another 3 to 4 hours of rain. So far the winds are not too bad. Isaias is not my friend.
My household fared pretty well, all things considered. The rest of town? Not so much! If you Google North East, MD flood, you'll get some interesting footage & pics. It was CRAZY around here!
I'm glad you were able to salvage the Princess' projects. He!! hath no fury like a crafter scorned! And Nope, I'm not wasting any love on Isaias, either. I'd just as soon the lil' B$%#$& stayed away, myself.
Here's to hoping we all dry out quickly!

How is she going to get across the creek if a car gets floated away crossing it?
Praying for you and yours
The car actually floated in the road, not the bridge. Walkers can get across the creek, but no cars are allowed until it's been inspected. Now that the rain has let up, the water level is going down, so hopefully, that will happen sooner, rather than later. If she's lucky, they'll let her all the way through soon, so we can go check on her dogs. From what we can tell, her house stayed fairly safe ... despite her road and driveway flooding.
And me and Mine are okay, now. DS may have some trouble getting home, tonight (he works the other side of a small town just the OTHER side of the area's major river, and they were hit pretty hard, too. The alternate way home is across a VERY old dam, which closes for inspection whenever we get a storm like this. Sure does a lot to inspire confidence, don'cha think?
I have a feeling DS will be spending the night at his father's house, tonight. At least, he will if he's smart ...

EDIT to ADD:
DS made it safely home. He tried to detour before getting to the places we warned him about, but ended up having to detour around the detours that detoured around the detours. It took him well over an hour to make a 22 minute run, but he's home ... REALLY wet and unhappy, but HOME! :celebrate

Last edited:
WE SURVIVED ... but Holy Cow ... are we WET!

DD and I went walkabout for a bit, just to see what was going on around us ... and I am ex-TREME-ly grateful, once again, to be on the high ground! Folks here all agree that this one is worse than either Floyd or Sandy - and both were really, REALLY bad! After our brief tour, I;d have to agree. Roads were blocked at both ends of town. We watched two water rescues as people & pets were removed from a two-story apartment building just a short walk away. If you watch the links below, the bridge where the reporter talks about water going from 1 foot deep to 10, is literally 100 yards off my back property line, as the creek flows, so to speak. The water is so shallow there that there's an old millrace (relic of a defunct lumber mill 200 years ago) where kids catch herring to fish and sell to the local bait shop. The little park there is literally named "Herring Snatchers Park! It's across from where the reporter is standing. The picnic tables threatening to float away are usually a good 15-20 feet from the water - and the stone bridge abutment is well beyond the water line. SCARY!

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/08/04/isaias-flooding-cecil-county-maryland-tuesday-latest/

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/north-east-being-evacuated-for-flooding/33512504

Pics from our walk:

Despite what you are seeing, there is NO CREEK in this picture. It's all field. The creek is still a good 10-15 yards to the left.
View attachment 2276461

To the left of the pic above, we find "the creek." See the shadow in the way back? rght before the open water? That's the creek bank closest to my house. It's a four foot drop to a short, sandy beach and massive rocks we call "the picnic rocks," 'cause they're the perfect place to have lunch!
View attachment 2276465

This little stream is usually a trickle you can step over with no difficulty at all. The uprooted mass of trees to the right is usually a good 8-10 feet from the water's edge, with a wonderful little pebble beach the kids love to play on.
View attachment 2276467

A storm drain manhole cover on Main Street. No, it's not propped up. The only thing holding it four inches above street-level is rushing water!
View attachment 2276468

My grown children used to play under the shade of this massive tree when they were small. It is usually well off the edge of the trickling creek it grows beside. It sits across from and slightly upstream of the massive uproot (which is the smaller of the two along that particular creek, today.) I only took pictures of these two trees because I'm afraid they won't be there the next time I visit. The ground is THAT saturated and the water still rushing. If they go, there will be massive tears at my house!
View attachment 2276470

This is a view from the high ground of North East, MD ... my front porch ... showing my "bone dry" driveway. I've had a puddle out front, IN the driveway, but NEVER a pond right here. I am EVER so grateful that the eye skipped us. I don't want to even begin to imagine the damage if it had been a direct hit!

View attachment 2276472
I missed one ... This is an eight foot deep sediment catch basin next to the school where I work .. It's normally BONE DRY!

Isa NEES Drain3.jpg

Isa NEES Drain5.jpg

Isa NEES Drain4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom