Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

MROO

Enabler
Feb 26, 2018
The North-Eastern Corner of Maryland
WE SURVIVED ... but Holy Cow ... are we WET!

DD and I went walkabout for a bit, just to see what was going on around us ... and I am ex-TREME-ly grateful, once again, to be on the high ground! Folks here all agree that this one is worse than either Floyd or Sandy - and both were really, REALLY bad! After our brief tour, I;d have to agree. Roads were blocked at both ends of town. We watched two water rescues as people & pets were removed from a two-story apartment building just a short walk away. If you watch the links below, the bridge where the reporter talks about water going from 1 foot deep to 10, is literally 100 yards off my back property line, as the creek flows, so to speak. The water is so shallow there that there's an old millrace (relic of a defunct lumber mill 200 years ago) where kids catch herring to fish and sell to the local bait shop. The little park there is literally named "Herring Snatchers Park! It's across from where the reporter is standing. The picnic tables threatening to float away are usually a good 15-20 feet from the water - and the stone bridge abutment is well beyond the water line. SCARY!

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/08/04/isaias-flooding-cecil-county-maryland-tuesday-latest/

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/north-east-being-evacuated-for-flooding/33512504

Pics from our walk:

Despite what you are seeing, there is NO CREEK in this picture. It's all field. The creek is still a good 10-15 yards to the left.
View attachment 2276461

To the left of the pic above, we find "the creek." See the shadow in the way back? rght before the open water? That's the creek bank closest to my house. It's a four foot drop to a short, sandy beach and massive rocks we call "the picnic rocks," 'cause they're the perfect place to have lunch!
View attachment 2276465

This little stream is usually a trickle you can step over with no difficulty at all. The uprooted mass of trees to the right is usually a good 8-10 feet from the water's edge, with a wonderful little pebble beach the kids love to play on.
View attachment 2276467

A storm drain manhole cover on Main Street. No, it's not propped up. The only thing holding it four inches above street-level is rushing water!
View attachment 2276468

My grown children used to play under the shade of this massive tree when they were small. It is usually well off the edge of the trickling creek it grows beside. It sits across from and slightly upstream of the massive uproot (which is the smaller of the two along that particular creek, today.) I only took pictures of these two trees because I'm afraid they won't be there the next time I visit. The ground is THAT saturated and the water still rushing. If they go, there will be massive tears at my house!
View attachment 2276470

This is a view from the high ground of North East, MD ... my front porch ... showing my "bone dry" driveway. I've had a puddle out front, IN the driveway, but NEVER a pond right here. I am EVER so grateful that the eye skipped us. I don't want to even begin to imagine the damage if it had been a direct hit!

View attachment 2276472
I missed one ... This is an eight foot deep sediment catch basin next to the school where I work .. It's normally BONE DRY!

Isa NEES Drain3.jpg

Isa NEES Drain5.jpg

Isa NEES Drain4.jpg

MROO

Enabler
Feb 26, 2018
Got all the birds fed and watered before the storm moves in, refilled the grit and oyster shell in the main coop, gave the quail some OS, replaced all the dirt boxes in the quail cages (which meant digging up lots of dirt and carrying full boxes back and forth to the cage 😂🤣:th), and unloaded a few feed bags into the shed.

Plus put the tarp back down on the side of the run so it stays drier, moved the Punk’s food inside to stay dry (and so hopefully the squirrels won’t eat it anymore), and got the eggs while I was out there and then I needed a shower cause sweat was running into my eyes 😂🤣🤢

Just ate and now gotta run back to the feed store real quick to get some stuff I forgot yesterday. Wanna put some fresh shavings in the coop.
Busy Gal! I'll bet your coops just sparkle now! I currently have two very bedraggled boys - a roo and a very young cockerel. the just ended look-no-touch quarantine and haven't quite figured out that they're now "allowed" to move beyond the old barrier. At least the rain has stopped, so they can dry out, now, poor lil guys!

MROO

Enabler
Feb 26, 2018
Oh wow that’s awesome! 🥰 I have a lot of like acquaintances 😂🤣 IRL ones are far less LOL although some of my online friends are better friends/I am closer with than most of my IRL ones 😂🤣🙈 mostly cause I never see the IRL ones lol
WayMaNinit ... You mean online is NOT Real Life? SAY IT ISN'T SO!

Kdogg - when is the storm supposed to hit your place? It sounds like you're ready ... but be careful. This is a mean one!

microchick

Enabler
5 Years
Dec 31, 2014
NE Missouri
I'm glad we are landlocked. The most we get from hurricanes is heavy rain when they come up the Texas gulf coast and track up the Mississippi.

We had something like 8 inches of rain in a two week period followed by unseasonably cool weather. It was down to 53 this morning and only up to 71 today.

Early fall and winter? Wouldn't be surprised.

KDOGG331

The Dawg
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Massachusetts
@MROO that damage is scary! :eek: storm rolled through here around 5 maybe? Maybe started 4:30 but was pretty mild then. And it only really lasted like maybe an hour or a little bit more and all we got was a bit of wind and some rain. Couple branches down. I was kind of disappointed 😂🤣🙈 but after seeing your pics I am now glad!!! We do have no power though. It went out maybe a couple hours ago?

MROO

Enabler
Feb 26, 2018
@MROO that damage is scary! :eek: storm rolled through here around 5 maybe? Maybe started 4:30 but was pretty mild then. And it only really lasted like maybe an hour or a little bit more and all we got was a bit of wind and some rain. Couple branches down. I was kind of disappointed 😂🤣🙈 but after seeing your pics I am now glad!!! We do have no power though. It went out maybe a couple hours ago?
No power stinks. DD and I were bad, and went for a rubbernecking ride a little bit ago. We didn't get very far in any direction. mainly because the line crews are all over the place, trying to get wires back up & working. It's weird, but we never got more than a few big blips, at home. I was worried about that because I have some two-week-old EE bantams still under a brooder in the dining room. We were okay, though. It definitely pays to be on the same power grid as the Firehouse, the Town Police and the Emergency Management Team!
The Emergency response here has been wonderful. There were many, many rescues, including evacuation of an entire section of town, but as far as I know, we didn't lose anyone. The propane tank that floated into Main street is now back where it belongs and most of the downed trees, at least the ones blocking traffic, are gone. We're waiting on confirmation of a tornado down on the Neck, but other than that, we're whole. I'll take it!

KDOGG331

The Dawg
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Massachusetts
No power stinks. DD and I were bad, and went for a rubbernecking ride a little bit ago. We didn't get very far in any direction. mainly because the line crews are all over the place, trying to get wires back up & working. It's weird, but we never got more than a few big blips, at home. I was worried about that because I have some two-week-old EE bantams still under a brooder in the dining room. We were okay, though. It definitely pays to be on the same power grid as the Firehouse, the Town Police and the Emergency Management Team!
The Emergency response here has been wonderful. There were many, many rescues, including evacuation of an entire section of town, but as far as I know, we didn't lose anyone. The propane tank that floated into Main street is now back where it belongs and most of the downed trees, at least the ones blocking traffic, are gone. We're waiting on confirmation of a tornado down on the Neck, but other than that, we're whole. I'll take it!
Oh wow that’s amazing!! It picked back up a little bit ago maybe around 745-8:20 ish the wind that is and is still going a little which is weird because for like an hour before it was over and sunny lol but it’s weird cause we barely got anything yet lost power. But the lights are out down the road which was. A little precarious so I think a big something got hit.

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
1,400,000 people without power in NJ. Received a call from county emergency coordinators indicating that 40 % of JCP&L customers in our county are without power, and that it will be days before power is restored. Folks are recommended to shelter in place, go to relatives, or go to a hotel/motel. Shelter centers are discouraged because of the Coronavirus Pandemic. Our power and cable kicked off at 7 - cable came back almost immediately, and power was back in about a half an hour.

Top Bottom