Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Depends on the clay!
I'm on super dense red Georgia clay...the kind that suffocates plants. With enough amendments to loosen and open it up plus provide drainage has made for happy roses...but without some work about the only thing that thrives in it is saguaro cactus, um...I mean tall thistle. All 8 feet tall.

I hope nothing is going through TN. I'm finding that many things seem to just sit in the Knoxville distributing center for about 5 to 10 days.
Just. Sit. There.

Electric-
I finally broke down and bought some electric netting fence. The kind that is easy to step in and move by oneself. It's a bit of a hassle because of the length, but it really worked to keep the very determined groundhogs out of the garden this past year. Enough so I'm thinking of making a larger day pasture area for chickens. I too have fox problems, and raccoon, and stray dogs...

You don't have to plug it into the fancy chargers that are advertised to go with them, any intermittent pulse charger, even a small plug in one from TSC, will work.
For mine, I just ran a coated wire from one strand of some poly hot wire I have as a temp pasture for the equines.

With you having some kiddos to help, yours would be a breeze to set up. I did not string all of mine out, just as much as I needed for the job, and left the extra rolled together at the end. I got the long 164' one because I knew I would use it in different places, but they come in shorter lengths.
How does it help with gophers?

I've had to wait 10-20min during all my vaccinations so that sounds pretty routine TBH. It's just to be sure. The vaccine has a severe reaction incidence of a bit more than 1 in 100,000. Similar anaphylaxis reactions occur in 2 out of 100 people for penicillin. So they're just being extra cautious.
I'm a severe shock reactor for penicillin. When it's time for me to get vaccinated, I plan on taking my knitting, my colored pencils and a good book ... and parking myself in the waiting room for at least an hour. Maybe I'll pack a picnic lunch, too ... just in case!

How does it help with gophers?
Gophers as in the smaller critters? Or gophers as some people call the larger groundhogs?
I got the basic square netting, not the smaller poultry netting, and it kept regular groundhogs out very well. In previous years they would wipe out most of what I planted. I do not have the smaller gophers here.

Kept out opossum and cats too, both of which have caused damage in previous years. Smaller bunnies slipped in once in a while, but not enough to do much damage.

I would imagine if you (anyone) gets the smaller square/poultry netting it would keep everything out, but it costs more.

Gophers as in the smaller critters? Or gophers as some people call the larger groundhogs?
I got the basic square netting, not the smaller poultry netting, and it kept regular groundhogs out very well. In previous years they would wipe out most of what I planted. I do not have the smaller gophers here.

Kept out opossum and cats too, both of which have caused damage in previous years. Smaller bunnies slipped in once in a while, but not enough to do much damage.

I would imagine if you (anyone) gets the smaller square/poultry netting it would keep everything out, but it costs more.
These must be the smaller ones. They go under ground and eat all the roots off plants. What company did you get your netting from?

I'm a severe shock reactor for penicillin. When it's time for me to get vaccinated, I plan on taking my knitting, my colored pencils and a good book ... and parking myself in the waiting room for at least an hour. Maybe I'll pack a picnic lunch, too ... just in case!
My health care professional said she is waiting for the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. It is only one jab. It doesn’t have to be kept at zero degrees either.

These must be the smaller ones. They go under ground and eat all the roots off plants. What company did you get your netting from?
Premier 1.
I started my search on Amazon to read the reviews, but the same fencing was on sale through the premier 1 site so I bought straight from them.
I ended up with the sheep/goat fence because my priority was keeping stuff out of the garden, not keeping chickens in. Though I did/do plan eventually to use it as a predator perimeter barrier around other pens.

Back
Top Bottom