Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

GemmaGA

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
NE Georgia (near Athens)
So I have seen this thread pop up several times, and I will be honest - I was a bit of a cynic and didn't really pay much attention. I didn't read most of the posts because I like some other folks felt like the media was blowing things out of proportion and was becoming a little 'numb' to the 'pandemic'. I consider myself an educated person. I had not really been directly affected by COVID, so I guess I sort of just brushed it off and didn't give a lot of credence to how serious COVID and this pandemic had become.

That was until this past week. A family friend was taken to the ER a couple weeks ago with difficulty breathing. Next thing we find out, he's on a ventilator and having to have dialysis. That was two weeks ago - he passed away on Friday. He had COVID, and up until he was admitted to the hospital he was a healthy, active, vibrant human being. Not someone at high risk, not someone with contributing underlying health conditions. I have known his wife my entire adult life, and this couple lives literally around the corner from me and my family. I cannot even begin to imagine the heartbreak she is experiencing right now. Nothing prepares you for a loved one's death, but I believe that is even more true in this particular scenario.

This person's passing has caused both me and my husband to start having conversations that until recently I was convinced we were much too young to be having.

I guess the long and short of it is, until it affects you personally in a deeply personal or negative way, you may not realize how devastating this little virus can be. I am sorry to all of those who have lost loved ones and livelihoods because of this pandemic.

Sending out wishes for comfort and healing to anyone/everyone affected because now I see.

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
So sorry that you had to come up to speed the hard way, Gemma. Condolences on losing a friend.

This is what my daughter the ICU nurse confirms. They currently have a 44yo who's previous medical history was unremarkable who's been on a ventilator for 6 weeks now. She tells us there are very little prospects for his recovery but, she says, what defeats those treating Covid patients the most is when one of their long-haulers does make a recovery only to return to the hospital within weeks and dies. She also says they are finding the age of the patients they're treating in her ICU dropping. 40yos are not uncommon for them now.

Meanwhile, we talk about infections and mortality rates. We never talk about what the expense of a 6-week hospital stay does to a family. Even folks who have good medical insurance coverage will probably have a hard, maybe life changing, time saddled with 20% of a bill that could be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
On another website today someone told me the COVID vaccine caused cancer because it was designed with black magic and people worshipping Moloch and the devil to control the human population. There may have been the implication of "Them" consuming baby souls because they don't have any as well.

They said that dead baseball player was proof of their theories. This is why I stick to studies, yall.
It's so sad, it's.. almost funny..well..it's so crazy it's funny.

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
Have you seen that the current recommendation for the newest strains is to double mask using the most effective one closest to your face?

I'm still using my homemade cloth masks. I feel pretty good about them since they're 2 layers of closely woven quilting cottons with a lining of fuzzy flannel with lots of surface to catch any droplets. I may get some non woven surgical masks as well. ...just in case you understand. Or I may add the non-woven layer inside the next time I sew some masks.

I'm still wearing my Christmas ones. Might be time to support my local quilting shop and get something more suitable for Spring.

Last edited:

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
Have you seen that the current recommendation for the newest stains is to double mask using the most effective one closest to your face?

I'm still using my homemade cloth masks. I feel pretty good about them since they're 2 layers of closely woven quilting cottons with a lining of fuzzy flannel with lots of surface to catch any droplets. I may get some non woven surgical masks as well. ...just in case you understand. Or I may add the non-woven layer inside the next time I sew some masks.

I'm still wearing my Christmas ones. Might be time to support my local quilting shop and get something more suitable for Spring.
Yes, I posted about this earlier. I wore one today that I've had for a while. Man, hard to breath in that one. No need to double up on it. We have a son that works in a nursing home that sent me some that he has. They use them in the home. Pretty thick too.

RebeccaRN

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Feb 23, 2020
NE Oklahoma
Yes, I posted about this earlier. I wore one today that I've had for a while. Man, hard to breath in that one. No need to double up on it. We have a son that works in a nursing home that sent me some that he has. They use them in the home. Pretty thick too.
If you really want to be sure your protected your gonna want to wear the N95 mask

Top Bottom