Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

So sorry that you had to come up to speed the hard way, Gemma. Condolences on losing a friend.

This is what my daughter the ICU nurse confirms. They currently have a 44yo who's previous medical history was unremarkable who's been on a ventilator for 6 weeks now. She tells us there are very little prospects for his recovery but, she says, what defeats those treating Covid patients the most is when one of their long-haulers does make a recovery only to return to the hospital within weeks and dies. She also says they are finding the age of the patients they're treating in her ICU dropping. 40yos are not uncommon for them now.

Meanwhile, we talk about infections and mortality rates. We never talk about what the expense of a 6-week hospital stay does to a family. Even folks who have good medical insurance coverage will probably have a hard, maybe life changing, time saddled with 20% of a bill that could be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

On another website today someone told me the COVID vaccine caused cancer because it was designed with black magic and people worshipping Moloch and the devil to control the human population. There may have been the implication of "Them" consuming baby souls because they don't have any as well.

They said that dead baseball player was proof of their theories. This is why I stick to studies, yall.
It's so sad, it's.. almost funny..well..it's so crazy it's funny.

Have you seen that the current recommendation for the newest strains is to double mask using the most effective one closest to your face?

I'm still using my homemade cloth masks. I feel pretty good about them since they're 2 layers of closely woven quilting cottons with a lining of fuzzy flannel with lots of surface to catch any droplets. I may get some non woven surgical masks as well. ...just in case you understand. Or I may add the non-woven layer inside the next time I sew some masks.

I'm still wearing my Christmas ones. Might be time to support my local quilting shop and get something more suitable for Spring.

Last edited:
Have you seen that the current recommendation for the newest stains is to double mask using the most effective one closest to your face?

I'm still using my homemade cloth masks. I feel pretty good about them since they're 2 layers of closely woven quilting cottons with a lining of fuzzy flannel with lots of surface to catch any droplets. I may get some non woven surgical masks as well. ...just in case you understand. Or I may add the non-woven layer inside the next time I sew some masks.

I'm still wearing my Christmas ones. Might be time to support my local quilting shop and get something more suitable for Spring.
Yes, I posted about this earlier. I wore one today that I've had for a while. Man, hard to breath in that one. No need to double up on it. We have a son that works in a nursing home that sent me some that he has. They use them in the home. Pretty thick too.

Try quilting cottons, Cynthia. They've tested pretty well because they're closely woven long staple cottons.

When I'm talking mine collapses and expands with my breath (a good sign) and yet they're breathable enough to wear for hours at a time. Not saying I'm not glad when I can take my triple layer one off but I wore it today for the best part of 9am to 2pm without significant discomfort. ...and I'm asthmatic.

OTOH several months ago I had to spend the day in a hospital because my husband required blood transfusions. I was lucky they would let me be with him. But I had to wear my mask all day and it was tough. Hot and my ears hurt from the elastic straps. I got a real respect for the medical personnel who have to do it all day EVERYday!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom