Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I spent most of last year going to the grocery store and back home. Gained weight from eating too much junk food. Even now there are items, certain cleaning supplies, etc that I have always bought that I still can't find in local grocery store. And we are still limited to 1 or 2 of certain items. God help us if we get a hurricane this year, it's going to be nuts! I'm going for my 2nd Moderna shot in a few hours. My face and neck got red from the 1st one, so taking prednisone and benadryl before I go. Wish me luck!

I spent most of last year going to the grocery store and back home. Gained weight from eating too much junk food. Even now there are items, certain cleaning supplies, etc that I have always bought that I still can't find in local grocery store. And we are still limited to 1 or 2 of certain items. God help us if we get a hurricane this year, it's going to be nuts! I'm going for my 2nd Moderna shot in a few hours. My face and neck got red from the 1st one, so taking prednisone and benadryl before I go. Wish me luck!

Good luck. I hope you have a good outcome.

I have a (fictitious) uncle whose lifestyle involves lots of drinking, He is uncomfortable if he cannot drink. His doctor even told him that if he stops drinking, he will suffer withdrawals, so he feels justified in continuing to drink. He has put others at risk by driving while drunk. People no longer respect him, they don't want to be around him at all.

He complains that he shouldn't be made to feel bad for putting others at risk because he is uncomfortable being sober. Meanwhile, small children and elderly people put their lives at risk crossing the road in the neighborhood where he lives because he drives unsafely.

My uncle has a social duty to either stop drinking or stop driving/ being around others who are vulnerable. That's a fact.
You really think that is a fair analogy? I don’t.

You really think that is a fair analogy? I don’t.
You know, it's interesting you ask that because I sort of came up with it spontaneously and decided to use it; although another example I thought of is smoking around other people and risks of second-hand smoke. But, now that you've asked the question, I did a google search and I am far from the only one who has used this exact analogy.

This op-ed explains it better than I can:

Although you have a right to your own body, your choice to willfully be sick ends where another’s right to be healthy begins. For that reason, people who “opt out” of vaccines should be opted out of society.

Freedom doesn’t mean “I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.” You can’t drive without a seatbelt and you can’t ride a motorcycle without a helmet. When we choose to live in a society, there are certain obligations—both moral and legal—to which we are bound. You cannot inflict harm or infringe on the rights and liberties of those around you.

Your moral and legal obligations to the safety of others can even curtail combinations of your rights. Even though consuming alcohol and driving are both legal activities, they are not legal when performed together. Nearly 11,000 people die every year because people choose to exercise their “rights” inappropriately.

The exact same reasoning applies to vaccination.

There is no moral difference between a drunk driver and a willfully unvaccinated person.

The words in purple are the op-ed author's words, not mine.

You know, it's interesting you ask that because I sort of came up with it spontaneously and decided to use it; although another example I thought of is smoking around other people and risks of second-hand smoke. But, now that you've asked the question, I did a google search and I am far from the only one who has used this exact analogy.

This op-ed explains it better than I can:

Although you have a right to your own body, your choice to willfully be sick ends where another’s right to be healthy begins. For that reason, people who “opt out” of vaccines should be opted out of society.

Freedom doesn’t mean “I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.” You can’t drive without a seatbelt and you can’t ride a motorcycle without a helmet. When we choose to live in a society, there are certain obligations—both moral and legal—to which we are bound. You cannot inflict harm or infringe on the rights and liberties of those around you.

Your moral and legal obligations to the safety of others can even curtail combinations of your rights. Even though consuming alcohol and driving are both legal activities, they are not legal when performed together. Nearly 11,000 people die every year because people choose to exercise their “rights” inappropriately.

The exact same reasoning applies to vaccination.

There is no moral difference between a drunk driver and a willfully unvaccinated person.

The words in purple are the op-ed author's words, not mine.
Do you believe them? I don’t.

Back
Top Bottom