Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Can you tell me if this sounds abusive?
1f614.png

My friend's husband won’t let her visit any friends or family. He has made her stop all contact with them unless it’s on the phone or computer. He reads and censors her comments on social media.
He makes her feel like she's going crazy for thinking he’s controlling, and that she is being ungrateful. (After all, he’s only doing this because of how much he cares about her.)
He doesn’t want her going to the gym anymore, so she doesn’t go. He also doesn’t let her go to work anymore (he told her to only rely on him for income and that he will take care of her).
She's not really allowed to go out anymore, unless it’s for necessities, and when she does, he makes sure to have people guilt trip her about it and shame her for it.
He wants her to have this medical procedure done and tells her that if she does it, he will allow her more freedoms.
He constantly says he's only doing all of this because he cares... he is just doing it for her own good.
Oh wait....did I say husband? I meant the government.
My bad.
You have been conditioned to be outraged if another person did this to their spouse, but be passive & compliant when it comes to our government.
Please wake up!
1f614.png

"... he is just doing it for her own good." Here's where your analogy fails. The government cannot and does not look out for the individual exclusively. The government's entire function is to ensure the *common* good. The well-being of its entire nation of citizens.

People have needs and interests that conflict; that's why the government has to make hard decisions about balancing the opposing needs and interests. Remember when we talked about wealthy folks whose interest is in lower taxes, and struggling folks whose interest is in assistance to get back on their feet?

Balancing/ compromising/ finding a middle ground always means some segment of the population will be unhappy with the government; some people will feel controlled in whatever situation the government must act.

Here's a news story of interest:

A man in the town of Manacor on the Spanish island of Mallorca has been arrested on suspicion of infecting 22 people with Covid-19, according to the Spanish National Police.

"Despite having symptoms and having done a PCR test, he continued his normal life without waiting for the result or quarantining," police said of the suspect in a tweet on Saturday.

Authorities added that the 40-year-old man "came to work with a 40°C fever [104°F] according to his colleagues. He was coughing loudly all over the place, lowering his facemask, while saying: 'I'm going to give you all the coronavirus.'"

The man infected eight people directly and 14 indirectly, both at his workplace and at the gym he attended, according to the police. Three of them were babies of only a year old, a police statement said.

Back
Top Bottom