Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I touch my face WAY WAY too often! :(

I think there's a good balance between some people I talk to saying "It's not a big deal, I'm just going about my day as if nothing is different!" vs. "OMG! Buy up everything & freak-out!!!"

IMHO, a metered, calm, deliberate, mindful, and balanced response is good. It's definitely a bigger deal than the seasonal flu, but it's not 10,000 people walking around with Ebola.

The toilet-paper thing is odd... really really odd to me. I'm guessing that some people started stocking up, others saw them doing it, so they did the same, then it got on the news "stores are out of TP!"... then everyone watching the news thought (even subconsciously) "OMG! I didn't know I needed to stockpile TP, but everyone else is, and it's clearly not available, so I should go get some wherever I can... just in case! I don't want to be the only one without TP!!!"

Heck, I know it's silly, but I can feel my monkey-brain twitching a little and thinking, "Wait, should I be doing it too?!?!"

... then I remember: Oh ya, I have a bidet, and also lots of TP from a costco run a few months ago... so I'm solid!

BTW, I'm a HUGE convert and fan of bidets! I have gifted 10 for friends & family that are now also converts! They are super fast / easy install, and work GREAT! This isn't the exact one I got, but it's almost exactly the same and has almost 9,000 reviews!!!
https://amzn.to/2Q4w1ry
OH, how funny! Look at the ad I just got while typing this!!

1583995970771.png

9 cases in my state. I was hoping it would not come here. I think the travel ban is great, it should have been done when this first started here!!

I am getting prepared just in case. Hand sanitizer, soap, toilet paper, bleach, and many other things are flying off the shelves. I cannot find hand sanitizer anywhere.

Thankfully I have many already since I'm a germaphobe lol. I have taught my kids and my family to always wash their hands and to keep your fingers off your face! My husband has lung disease so it could be bad for him if he gets sick..

I am trying not to worry but with my anxiety and all, it's hard not to. ☹😰😫🤯

IMHO, a metered, calm, deliberate, mindful, and balanced response is good. It's definitely a bigger deal than the seasonal flu, but it's not 10,000 people walking around with Ebola.

OH, how funny! Look at the ad I just got while typing this!!

The problem IMO is the media's hyping it up like crazy, and people latch onto it and join in the frenzy. Obviously when an entire nursing home is on lock down, or the NBA is suspending games the rest of the season, that's big juicy news. My mother doesn't even live in the US but she's been sending me news links for my area daily, as she's convinced I'm on the verge of dying because I haven't yet locked myself in an underground bunker with the chickens and a 2 year supply of canned beans.

Meanwhile thousands of people die each year from the flu...

Best toilet paper "ad" I've gotten so far is a company promising a free roll of toilet paper if you act now to reserve a slot for pressure washing.

90% rubbing alcohol mixed with some aloe vera gel is also a quick way to make hand sanitizer!!

Except there's no rubbing alcohol available either. And many sources have said that homemade sanitizer is not the same as the actual thing.

I don't trust sanitizers anyhow. Handwashing is far better, gets germs, dirt, grime, grease all at the same time.

I live in Europe. And the number of infected people increase every day. It seems most of the counties in Europe are following Italy in increase of contaminated people. Young and healthy people have not much to fear. But its really dangerous for the sick and elderly. It often causes pneumonia to the weaker ones and people who are on medicine because of healt issues. Pneumonia on both lungs is deadly if you have a health problem already.

One of the problems is that hospitals get contaminated. A few doctors in Italy claim it’s like working in a war zone. They can’t do their normal work anymore. There is no way they can isolate all the infected people. There is not enough staff anymore because they get sick too. A lot of the regular hospital care has stoped.

This Covid-19 is not a normal flew , its a lot more contagious and already a pandemic (WHO).

I'm in Texoma (Texas border with Oklahoma) and like the fool I am when I first heard of a super evil flu like awful going around I stocked up on what I usually do for my house of 5 youngish sons- gateraide, Pedialyte, canned chicken soup, crackers, canned chicken broth, ibuprofen liquid and tabs, Tylenol liquid and tabs, canned peaches, ginger candy, ginger beer, tea.
I made adjustments for specialty meds like Albuterol too since there were whispers it was a respiratory thing.
I however did not stock my home with sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, tp (super unfortunate my septic only takes the "good" stuff) pasta, disaster sized cans of food, or bottles of water.
I don't have any idea why water is being hoarded and no one else does either. I did question a guy with 14 cases at the grocery (2 carts and an I'll shank you look on his mean mug) and he said the virus was in the water sources.
I kinda wanted to slap him but he had the look of a dude who had seen one too many zombie flicks and desperately wants to be a double season character.
After that I asked husband to please let me stock up on animal feed too as these maniacs are kinda scary to be around....

On the other stuff I didn't stock we don't use hand sanitizer except when the kids teachers make us buy the crap for them and we never relied on bottles of water.
But that rubbing alcohol.
We use that a lot out here in the country.

Since people are starting to get wild eyed I also made sure my hubby and I got our boosters for Tdap done, and the kids that were old enough for it got that shot as well. Last thing I need is a case of lock jaw because I didn't have any iodine, rubbing alcohol, or saline wash on hand to handle something quickly.

People are really really scared for their older family members, they're trying to seclude them.
Problem is that without masks or running alcohol it's only a matter of time before elderly deaths not related to the virus started ticking up.
Like if you take shots (ie insulin) you're basically committed to washing the injection area with water as well as you can. I don't even want to think about people with chronic wounds how are they going to clean them?
And what happens when the hysteria has people stealing stuff from Granny's house? It's not like she can fight back.

My mom never left my home town in southern California, and though she refused to come out here when we asked she's beginning to soften. It's too late though. They tagged her and the other elderly folk as high risk and "requested" they not leave the town. Fyi she works in the pharmacy and she has chronic bronchitis.
She clued me in to the to shortage but it didn't motivate me to go out and stock up. She said people were stuffing their masks with it and it was so crazy because an old mask full of your own hot air only breeds whatever lands on the mask faster, and stuffing the mask makes it so much worse.
She's worried about fresh food like veggies and meat since the trucking routes are under scrutiny for possibly transmitting.

I'm so worried for her. I wish she would of let me go get her when it first sounded ugly...

I have to admit, this one has me very concerned. I've been watching the numbers. Comparing the stats to flu/influenza make it even more disconcerting. The severity doesn't seem comparable to the flu/influenza either. Those being hospitalized, which is a very high percentage, compared to flu/influenza, are not being admitted for supportive care, but are needing to be put into I.C.U. The numbers are bleak for older folks, which I am one, and for those that are immunocompromised, which I am as well. It's barely started here, but following how rapidly it's spreading in other countries, once it gets a foothold, I suspect that is going to change in the very near future.

Back
Top Bottom