Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

https://data.cms.gov/covid-19/covid-19-nursing-home-data

and

Simple analysis of that data

"... [From] Weekly infection, mortality reports from over 15,000 US nursing homes who were required to report their numbers to Medicare (aka CMS). ...

I simply compute the dead:alive for the period after the vax (Feb 2021 to May 2021) and divide it by the dead:alive for the period before the vax (Jun 2020 to the end of Jan 2021). I combined all the numbers from all 15,000 nursing homes with no omissions.

If the vaccine works, the ratio will be <1.

If the vaccine does nothing, the ratio will be 1 (assuming the same variant is in circulation which is true for the restricted time frame I used).

If the vaccine is making things worse and making you more likely to die, the ratio will be >1.

The ratio was 1.75
Next
instead of counting the number of facilities where the IFR [infection fatality rate] got better or worse, I’m just adding up all the numbers of infections and all the deaths and computing the after/before odds ratio.

This is simple to understand.

I computed the overall IFR on the period before the vax.

I computed the overall IFR on the period after the vax.

That’s it.

If the vax worked, the new IFR should be dramatically lower.
Prevax is 0.171345161
Postvax is 0.278653426

This means that if you get COVID right after you got the vaccine, you are 1.6 times more likely to die (compute from .278/.171)
..."

Hm... he may have gotten a little sloppy with his verb tenses in that last paragraph - this was all limited to a short time frame to minimize the effect of different variants.

Last edited:
I've not heard what the latest variant or latest booster is.
Can you bring me up to date?
Furthermore, you would have thought that the first victim's name would be a household word long before people were forced to lose their jobs. From memory; What was their name?
Sorry, I do not know the answer to any of these questions. I got Covid right after Christmas 2020 and went to the ER twice with it and spent at least one night in the hospital. I had the GI version. This was before the vaccine was available, or at least I had not received it yet. Oh, the latest vaccine I believe will be ready in October. And absolutely I will be getting it, along with this year's flu shot. I'm 70 years old and do not have a robust immune system. Plus I'm still raising a grand child. I'll take all the help I can get.

Not for me it wasn't! 🤣
Medicare required all nursing homes to report numbers of covid infections and numbers of deaths from covid starting June 2020.

The cast majority of residents of nursing homes were vaccinated for covid in January 2021.

• Add up all the covid infections in all the nursing homes from before anyone in the nursing homes were vaccinated - June 2020 through January 2021.
  • Add up all the deaths from covid in all the nursing homes from before the people in the nursing homes were vaccinated - June 2020 through January 202.
  • Divide one by the other to get a ratio. It is 0.171345161 which is about 17 deaths per 100 infections.
Then
  • Add up all the covid infections in the nursing homes from after the people in the nursing homes were vaccinated - Feb 2021 to May 2021.
  • Add up all the deaths from covid in all the nursing homes from after the people in the nursing homes were vaccinated - Feb 2021 to May 2021.
  • Divide one by the other to get a ratio. It is 0.278653426 which is about 27 deaths per 100 infections.

Compare one ratio to the other ratio.

Medicare required all nursing homes to report numbers of covid infections and numbers of deaths from covid starting June 2020.

The cast majority of residents of nursing homes were vaccinated for covid in January 2021.

• Add up all the covid infections in all the nursing homes from before anyone in the nursing homes were vaccinated - June 2020 through January 2021.
This ....(above)
  • Add up all the deaths from covid in all the nursing homes from before the people in the nursing homes were vaccinated - June 2020 through January 202.
Appears to be the same as this. (Above)
  • Divide one by the other to get a ratio. It is 0.171345161 which is about 17 deaths per 100 infections.
Then
  • Add up all the covid infections in the nursing homes from after the people in the nursing homes were vaccinated - Feb 2021 to May 2021.
And this (above)
  • Add up all the deaths from covid in all the nursing homes from after the people in the nursing homes were vaccinated - Feb 2021 to May 2021.
Appears to be the same as this (above)
  • Divide one by the other to get a ratio. It is 0.278653426 which is about 27 deaths per 100 infections.
So dividing A by A isn't going to tell you much of anything.
Compare one ratio to the other ratio.

Back
Top Bottom