Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I'm a Longarm Quilter and I make Tshirt quilts.
I've been quilting for a while, mainly for myself, but recently started advertising and picking up new clients. A lot of face to face interaction needed for that plus with all the quilt shows cancelled for... who knows how long...no show work now.
(For those who don't know, Longarmers use a gigantic specialized sewing machine to put all the fancy stitching you see on quilts.)

With money being tight now for everyone I doubt much will come in for a long time to come.
Due to my kiddo's health issues, that I haven't discussed here yet, I need to work from home.
Were I still on my old farm I could probably ride things out and fare better because of on the farm sales and the Farmer's Markets, but it also took a toll on me after 10 years.

Ooh, ooh! DH and I were looking into getting a longarm and learning how to quilt, for when he retires! We can't find anyone to teach us how, though. Lots of people make quilt tops around here.

What I got out of it is that those asymptomatic carriers would skew the numbers. Not that it's not still deadly (because it is) but that we can't possibly get an accurate count because it is so insidious and so highly and invisibly contagious. Which is why everybody should pretty much stay away from everyone else until the numbers of new cases consistently goes down everywhere. We should greet one another lke the Japanese do, with polite bows and friendly nods.

Yeah that’s what I got out of it too! But you said it way better than I could have!! :lau :th :bow

My dad sent me this video on March 11 - it shows how the virus went from one species to another and then to humans and why it was able to do that. It's rather frightening.

https://biggeekdad.com/2020/03/china-wildlife-farming/
Here's another article about the ban on wildlife farming:
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...le-of-chinas-secretive-wildlife-farm-industry

I didn't watch the videos, but I have seen a piece recently where scientists have been studying bats for years, specifically for the viruses they carry, which are oodles and most are harmless to humans. The scientists said that one of the biggest contributing factors in virus transmission from bats to humans is the encroachment on wildlife habitat.
Bat and human interaction (in a wildlife setting) is becoming common because bats are running out of places to go. The bat species highlighted by the scientists was the same one named as the possible culprit for the Covid-19 coronavirus.

How would anyone know they are being lied to when all these future numbers are not known as we haven't lived thru this before. scientists can only offer hypotheses because they all don't know so they give answers based on what the graph is doing now . Noone knows for sure.
Not exactly an answer to this posts, but it did remind me that someone I know is convinced Covid-19 was hatched up in a bio warfare lab over there and oopsie....it got out, because she read that on what she thought was a good news source. And that our (US) gov is lying to us about where (how) it came from.
So, depending on where one digests their "news" from.....yeah they are being lied to.😳
She's so convinced she deleted the entire conversation from our text exchange. I haven't asked her recently if her thoughts on the origination have changed....

Holy Moley, Kabootar! I guess that adds a whole different perspective to Covid!

I can understand that it would be hard to have a sense of actual numbers beyond "many people" without the record keeping and technology we're all so familiar with.

So are your elderly relatives more philosophical about this?

PS: It's so wonderful to get perspectives from the Netherlands and Britain and India and Russia and Spain to temper our own US-centric views.

I have three surviving old people in my immediate family my great-grandmother, my maternal grandmother and my paternal grandmother. They are barely literate, my great grandmother doesn't care about living anymore after she outlived her husband, her younger brothers and sisters and her only son. She complaints about living. Both my grandmothers have also lost their husbands.

My maternal grandmother lost her son and husband long before I was born. Her son died of meningitis and her husband disappeared during the emergency never to be heard again.

My paternal grandfather was a very strong man. He was an engineer, he served in the Indian Navy and then in the shipping company Maersk and Cosco. He earned lots of money, he traveled around the world. He bought a lot of land in the village, he sent both his sons to college. He retired in 2006, he returned straight back to his village, raised chickens and buffaloes, brought a tractor. He could have lived in Mumbai or Delhi, but he didn't.

He was diagnosed with heart condition in 2015, but he refused to go through surgery, he said "I have married, raised my children, served my country, seen the world, why should I live anymore? To see all that disappear?". He died in September, 2015.

My paternal grandmother says that women have weak bodies and they are faint hearted yet death doesn't come to them easily. I grew up surrounded by my grandparents. I am emotionally very attached to them. They don't care if they die, my great-grandmother says that it's better if she does. But I don't want to lose them.

Ooh, ooh! DH and I were looking into getting a longarm and learning how to quilt, for when he retires! We can't find anyone to teach us how, though. Lots of people make quilt tops around here.
When you get closer to that stage, message me and I can direct you on how to find what you need. Missouri has a lot of big name quilters living there plus some dealers offer classes when you buy a longarm. Some brands of longarm also offer instruction.

It's best to call someone a liar then actually see what the situation is... This virus is what it is. We have never dealt with it before so we cannot have exact numbers on what will happen. We have to wait it out and see and there's nothing else we can do.

You are so right!!! Also since the media sensationalize anything to get readers, and distort information . These media people should just print the facts only. Don't you think all media should be doing the public a service in passing on correct Information ? Isn't that what their there for?
I try to listen daily to the top of the top including the doctors every day. Anything else is not a good enough to me. If you can't trust the top of the top leaders of the country and the best scientists available and do some homework before you blindly believe anything they say.

Yea we don't have much other than graphs and theories made by the top scientists. That is made clear Because of the media-tv and paper, my husband hates me, LOL, and my daughter thinks I'm a fruitloop. My sister and my parents -we agree to trusting the people at the top and scienttists. So I do not argue with people with other beliefs-it's pointless. I just yak about the situation to people who see it like me.

I have to laugh at all the people that say those top people and scientists woulda coulda shoulda. Like they actually are more knowledgeable and can do a better job. Sheesh.

as of right now 2:25 on 4/1/20, the US has 4000 people dead.

I don’t think he’s jumping around or changing his opinion or anything. He’s just saying that a lot more people probably have it and don’t know so the numbers might be a bit skewed. He’s not saying it’s not serious but just stating facts and additional research. I mean, it’s kind of common sense that if tons more people have it and don’t know or don’t get tested, of course the death rate would be a lot lower than is represented. Basically the only people getting tested at this point are the serious cases in the hospitals and famous people.

I think that's a reasonable representation.

We simply DON'T KNOW what's going on because -- whatever anyone is representing -- there isn't remotely adequate testing going on.

And whether this is or is not more lethal than any other disease is immaterial. People are dying and medical systems in many areas of the country are overburdened or approaching dysfunction. Doctors and researchers are doing the best they can to come up with strategies for fighting this new disease but without reliable information they have one hand tied behind their backs.

Back
Top Bottom