Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Allergies have me sneezing and coughing for the last two weeks.
Every time I sneeze or cough, I get a twinge of dread in my lower gut and I wonder...Did I sneeze/cough this much last year? I can't remember.
I'm with you here. Everyone in my house has them and the cough is what freaks people out in our area.

Y'all......
In my regular waking in the middle of an anxiety attack (had them for decades) I lay awake with my mind wandering....

It occurred to me I had beading wire somewhere.....I went and dug it out. It will work for nose wires!!!! Then my fleece stash! Perfect for making ties or ear loops!
:barnie So freaking obvious!

Yay for innovation!!!

I've read the science and understand it. The coincidence that 3 viruses in 20 years all started in one place is intriguing though.

Well, it's the largest population in the world.

Meanwhile, I just read that Covid has been found in zoo animals -- the big cats -- in the Bronx zoo.

I've read the science and understand it. The coincidence that 3 viruses in 20 years all started in one place is intriguing though.
Indeed it is.

But when you look at diets around the world, what people eat and how the meat and/or produce is handled collectively, it's eye opening to see what happens. Cantaloupe and spinach killing people in the US. Mad cow disease in other countries...
SO much illness is connected to food sources and this supposedly originated at a food market....

I realize this isn't quite the same but
https://www.cdc.gov/foodborneburden/index.html

Different eating habits in different countries probably contributes to what the outbreaks or illness are that occur. I'm thinking if this were at a time where people could not travel internationally, it might have never gotten to other continents.

I don't understand most of what he is saying, though the video is quite clear....but does he say what the last 2 masks are made of? The ones right before the round N95 that the aerosol does not go through?

Yes, that was an impressive demonstration. But it was also at close range from a pressurized source -- the equivalent of someone sneezing or coughing into your face at point blank range.

So, even though it's clear we would all be better off with N95 rated masks, those NEED to be reserved for medical professionals and others on the front line. Meanwhile, in our day to day activities outside our houses the rest of us will have to make due with what we can get AND as much distancing as possible.

I get it. I have always understood that they are NOT PERFECT.
Particle masks are hot and difficult to breathe through and NOT N95 so I can only imagine how uncomfortable an N95 is.

Homemade are supposed to be ADDED to social distancing, staying the heck home and not as a replacement for for those.

Are they THE best answer....probably not. Are they still better than NOTHING (which is what is available in premade properly rated) I DO believe so.

What they are made of is important.

I do like that his test is something many can try at home to see if their homemade masks are helpful.
One other thought......most people do not constantly expel or inhale air at that velocity. Walking through someone elses sneeze cloud won't be at that velocity either.

All valid points! I agree :)

Yeah, I figured the first ones were just single layers of thin fabrics. I've been making mine with 2 to 3 layers of quilting fabric, with a pocket for a dense material insert too. Not sure how easy it will be to breathe through something as thick as a quilt though....

Give them a test and see for yourself! That's the only way to see.

I mostly agree with you, but I'm on the fence about this naturally occurring vs being created in a lab.

I was suspicious and did some, ok more hours than I care to admit worth of, reading and there were many warnings about numerous potentially unknown coronavirus, especially among bats, and moreso bats in China. Based on what I read, it is/was a cesspool of these types of virus.

I see you responded in another post :)

I agree the coincidence is interesting but there also isn't anywhere else in the world where these types of wet markets are so prominent in such insanely densely populated areas.

Allergies have me sneezing and coughing for the last two weeks.
Every time I sneeze or cough, I get a twinge of dread in my lower gut and I wonder...Did I sneeze/cough this much last year? I can't remember.

I have asthma and my lung produce sludge I'm constantly having to cough out. And I'm in low level of permanent anxiety going "is that the beginning of the 'dry cough'?".

For now I'm being diligent about the meds that keep my asthma "controlled". ...I'm typically not. But if I eventually do get the virus -- some statisticians theorize that's the likely model* -- I want my lungs to start out as open and resilient as possible.

* They say that even if it turns out to be more or less inevitable, our best strategy is still retarding the spread so that medical systems can keep pace and meds and vaccines can catch up on the mitigation end.

Last edited:
Ok so....I grabbed one of my double layer masks and air freshener as it is visible when sprayed.
I went into the sunshine, test sprayed just the aerosol....yup visible.
Tested through the mask at 2" away.....not visible.

Feel free to test with aerosols too.....not in the least scientific but it is interesting.

Good news! So wear it and still stay as far away from others as possible. And stay well!!!!

Yes, that was an impressive demonstration. But it was also at close range from a pressurized source -- the equivalent of someone sneezing or coughing into your face at point blank range.

So, even though it's clear we would all be better off with N95 rated masks, those NEED to be reserved for medical professionals and others on the front line. Meanwhile, in our day to day activities outside our houses the rest of us will have to make due with what we can get AND as much distancing as possible.

I thought the point of wearing a mask is to protect others from your breath, cough, and/or sneeze from escaping and infecting others.

If that is the point, then all of those masks fail. Those droplets end up on the ground, handrail, grocery aisle, and/or in their hand, among other places.

Just sayin'.

I would not have purchased any masks but happen to have a couple for wood chopping/cutting.

I hope people don't get a false sense of security with these home made masks.

I'm also wondering, on more reflection. They held those masks out into space unimpeded in any way to spray the aerosol through. I wonder if the mask were on a face where the airflow was impeded if there would be so much flow through.

I guess you could put a mask around a jar or something covered with paper and see how wet the paper got where the airflow was interrupted.

Back
Top Bottom