Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Ok so....I grabbed one of my double layer masks and air freshener as it is visible when sprayed.
I went into the sunshine, test sprayed just the aerosol....yup visible.
Tested through the mask at 2" away.....not visible.

Feel free to test with aerosols too.....not in the least scientific but it is interesting.

Now you know :)

With a home made mask, you can expect variation due to a variety of factors, even when using the same materials in the same order.

Cool that you tried!! Thank you for posting your results :) :)

I'm also wondering, on more reflection. They held those masks out into space unimpeded in any way to spray the aerosol through. I wonder if the mask were on a face where the airflow was impeded if there would be so much flow through.

I guess you could put a mask around a jar or something covered with paper and see how wet the paper got where the airflow was interrupted.

My logic says the air flow out of the mask would be greater in such a test. Since there is no where for the air to escape except out of the mask, it will, otherwise the mask would lift off your face. One way or another, air gets out to relive the pressre.

I thought the point of wearing a mask is to protect others from your breath, cough, and/or sneeze from escaping and infecting others.

If that is the point, then all of those masks fail. Those droplets end up on the ground, handrail, grocery aisle, and/or in their hand, among other places.

Just sayin'.

I would not have purchased any masks but happen to have a couple for wood chopping/cutting.

I hope people don't get a false sense of security with these home made masks.

I think everything you say is true including, and most especially, not having a false sense of security. But it's the best most of us have got. So, limit those outside excursions to what's necessary. Wear what protective gear you've got. Wash the hands. Change the clothes if you've been outside. And keep the distance.

All valid points! I agree :)

Give them a test and see for yourself! That's the only way to see.

I was suspicious and did some, ok more hours than I care to admit worth of, reading and there were many warnings about numerous potentially unknown coronavirus, especially among bats, and moreso bats in China. Based on what I read, it is/was a cesspool of these types of virus.

I see you responded in another post :)

I agree the coincidence is interesting but there also isn't anywhere else in the world where these types of wet markets are so prominent in such insanely densely populated areas.

I've seen them in Vietnam where the population centers are also very dense. I haven't been to other countries in Asia but I'd suspect you'd find them in other places like Cambodia and Laos.

All valid points! I agree :)

Give them a test and see for yourself! That's the only way to see.

I was suspicious and did some, ok more hours than I care to admit worth of, reading and there were many warnings about numerous potentially unknown coronavirus, especially among bats, and moreso bats in China. Based on what I read, it is/was a cesspool of these types of virus.

I see you responded in another post :)

I agree the coincidence is interesting but there also isn't anywhere else in the world where these types of wet markets are so prominent in such insanely densely populated areas.
Very true and I've definitely thought of that. It's a good reason to close those markets but interestingly enough, it's a good cover for something to be released on purpose.

I'm on the fence about it, but I can certainly see both sides of the discussion. I hate being in the middle of the road sometimes.

My logic says the air flow out of the mask would be greater in such a test. Since there is no where for the air to escape except out of the mask, it will, otherwise the mask would lift off your face. One way or another, air gets out to relive the pressre.

The airflow out, yes. I was speculating about the penetration inward when it might be directed around the mask on a face. But, as you've said in a previous post, the point is supposed to be limiting asymptomatic transmission by containing the virus to the mask wearer.

Indeed it is.

But when you look at diets around the world, what people eat and how the meat and/or produce is handled collectively, it's eye opening to see what happens. Cantaloupe and spinach killing people in the US. Mad cow disease in other countries...
SO much illness is connected to food sources and this supposedly originated at a food market....

I realize this isn't quite the same but
https://www.cdc.gov/foodborneburden/index.html

Different eating habits in different countries probably contributes to what the outbreaks or illness are that occur. I'm thinking if this were at a time where people could not travel internationally, it might have never gotten to other continents.
I see both sides and think either one is plausible.

Well, it's the largest population in the world.

Meanwhile, I just read that Covid has been found in zoo animals -- the big cats -- in the Bronx zoo.
Corona viruses infect a lot of different species. If Covid mutated to infect humans then it makes sense it mutated some more.

Yes, its going yo be tricky to lift restrictions again. I hope they lift the most important first. Like letting young children going to school again. Then wait 1-2 weeks and if everything still is in control, before they take the next step.

I do hope our economy is going to change after this. We need more people in governments who care, people with integrity. And certainly not to the world leaders you named, who have too much ego and think ‘whats in it for me’ all the time.

Clean air
We have to stop using so much fuel. Make a transition to a healtier environment. One of the positive things if this Corona crap is the clean air. The positive effect of this partially world wide shut down really is amazing.

People stopping buying useless products is great. I do hope all plastic plants that make crap are going to produce better products if
they survive this Covid crisis

Less international trade
I do hope we will be more self supplying in a more regional area (like within larger parts of the continents). Less international trade is good for a lot of things and not only for spreading awful diseases.

It would be better if we stop producing /buying plastic crap product and cheap clothes made by ‘slaves’ in very unhealthy working environments.
It would be better if boats and airplanes stop polluting the world.
For instance: Stop buying flowers that are treated with lots of herbicides/pesticides that pollute the soil and the health of the cheap labour, which are exported all over the world in airplanes.

International trade makes us vulnerable for another new virus. Stopping international trade helps creating a healthier world and can stop global warming if we go on with the good things, like planting trees, building plants for wind- and solar energy.
Yeah, that would all be lovely but very unlikely to happen.
What could be possible is decent affordable health care for everyone.
I know, I know, not a lot of profit in it.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom