Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I disagree. I lived in a cardboard box when I was young. I was so hungry, I was literally starving to death. But I never stole a thing! I worked my butt off for everything I had and didn't take a drop of charity either. It is a choice. I chose to work two and three jobs, I chose to put seeds in the ground to feed myself and kids, and I chose not to complain about what I didn't have, or to say it was someone else's fault cuz they didn't like how I looked. Everything in life is about the choices we make and the consequences of those choices.
Exactly!! Not really sure why criminal behavior is being justified and excused just because somebody is poor or hungry. The rules should still apply to them. And there’s literally so many other options to get help or food or whatever. Being poor might not be a choice but committing crimes definitely is. That said, I’m sure there’s probably less options way in the country than there are in the cities but still. I’m sure there’s something besides stealing.

I disagree. I lived in a cardboard box when I was young. I was so hungry, I was literally starving to death. But I never stole a thing! I worked my butt off for everything I had and didn't take a drop of charity either. It is a choice. I chose to work two and three jobs, I chose to put seeds in the ground to feed myself and kids, and I chose not to complain about what I didn't have, or to say it was someone else's fault cuz they didn't like how I looked. Everything in life is about the choices we make and the consequences of those choices.
Btw major respect to you for getting out of your situation. :love :bow

I'm really glad you found that worked out for you! Your story is an anecdote, though, a single point of data and it doesn't work out for most people from what I have researched and experienced. Under very slightly different circumstances you would be another statistic of poor people being stuck poor.

Do you have non anecdotal data showing otherwise?

IMO you should love people radically regardless of their circumstances. You should also try to not murder people who are not directly threatening your physical well being. I don't think that's much to expect of people.

Exactly!! Not really sure why criminal behavior is being justified and excused just because somebody is poor or hungry. The rules should still apply to them.

This is a really big question in A-level philosophy - is it morally right to steal to feed yourself or others. Lots of people say it IS morally right to steal to eat if you can't buy food. Something being legal doesn't make it right and something being illegal doesn't make it wrong. Rules can be made to benefit anyone and in this case they are not made to benefit people who are poor or hungry - they are made to benefit whoever already has money and food. It's not like we don't have the resources to feed these people - we do. We just chose not to as a society. Ultimately many of us are one paycheck away from poverty. Nobody WANTS to be in that scenario.

If the amount of labor you put in results in the amount of compensation you receive why are there plenty of talentless hacks worth so much money and people who work three jobs stuck living at BEST lives that are acceptable and at worse largely unable to afford to pay for things? There's no correlation at all between hours of labor, risk level of job, difficulty level of job, importance of job for society to function and wealth.

But the bigger question to me is why do people here think that literally killing someone is better than losing some stuff. And why are they more comfy with that than discussing the social reforms that would prevent those people stealing in the first place....

Last edited:
You're right - there is counter arguments to your claims for DAYS. With citations. I have the receipts. But they wouldn't change your mind. Facts rarely do change peoples minds. I mean, in truth, I'd love to see some citations for yours - like there's NO societies in the WHOLE of history where people who didn't contribute were cared for anyways?

But conveniently no historical event has ever supported this post-apocalyptic TV-show style world you've imagined. And corona certainly won't get us there. Guns either A) won't help you with Corona, or B) you will shoot people over some food when they're hungry.

So in line with your desires to be on subject; conversations about end of the world survival scenarios where people can fantasize about shooting other people without repercussions because society has collapsed are MUCH less relevant to this thread than, say, dealing with racism in our communities and nation to help facilitate EVERYONES health and safety.
I do not agree with you and you do not agree with me. No amount of arguing is going to change anything. I'm good with that. Have a nice day.

Okay so lets talk about chickens and coops . I'm well aware of animals looking at chickens as dinner. But with this pandemic you never know about people. My daughter got me thinking and I put a lock on my coop. Serious. Broke, bored, and bare pantry.
I’ve had number lock on their coop since I got them- don’t trust my neighbors at all. There has also been an issue with my neighbors dog- they continue to let it off leash and it, seeing the chickens, it runs over to our yard and scares the crap out of them. I knew I had to protect them from predators, but I sure didn’t realize those predators would be my own neighbors!

Last edited:
I started using a lock on my coop when I'll be away for more than 30 minutes. Funny thing after I started using it, my chickens seemed to be laying more eggs and my feed lasted a lot longer. Just saying! It seems the "surge" has begun here in Massachusetts. The number of infections is rising, however they are doing more and more testing. There are now 15202 confirmed cases, 356 deaths state wide and 1172 cases in my county. It seems the larger numbers are closer to the Boston Metro area. which is way far away from me. I'm still trying to determine the best time to make my HD order to be delivered. I really need to just do it now and give it all a little time to air out before using any of it. I hope everyone is staying healthy and practicing their social distancing.

That is sad, and no surprise sadly
Can you explain what you find sad?

For clarity, my comment is that I (me) am not bothered to hear people discuss racism or discrimination (having been on the receiving end of discrimination before myself) in light of how it may play into things with the current Covid-19 pandemic.

I was trying to reassure Chocolate that not everyone here is offended by such because it is happening.

I started using a lock on my coop when I'll be away for more than 30 minutes. Funny thing after I started using it, my chickens seemed to be laying more eggs and my feed lasted a lot longer. Just saying! It seems the "surge" has begun here in Massachusetts. The number of infections is rising, however they are doing more and more testing. There are now 15202 confirmed cases, 356 deaths state wide and 1172 cases in my county. It seems the larger numbers are closer to the Boston Metro area. which is way far away from me. I'm still trying to determine the best time to make my HD order to be delivered. I really need to just do it now and give it all a little time to air out before using any of it. I hope everyone is staying healthy and practicing their social distancing.
Hahahaha! Also, I agree. I actually know people throughh a vine who have it, and that scares me. What I mean is I haven’t actually met them but my mom’s professor’s son has it, and he lives in the area. And pretty soon, people I know could have it.... its just scary. Also, order it as soon as possible!!!! Who knows what’ll happen with shipping if all the workers get it. I am healthy and taking social distancing to the extreme. I havent been anywhere in about a month at this point. :sick

Back
Top Bottom