Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Is history taught in public schools any more??? It doesn't seem like it to me. Or political science, or civics, or science, or basic health information. But there's plenty of space for every (wacko) fringe pusher to get out there.
I'll stop ranting, for now...
Mary
Or how about manners, consideration for others, basic common courtesy for living within society? If any of them thought one lick about other people, instead of just themselves all the time, it would be a much better world!

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply anything about your DS. My kiddo certainly lacks common sense in quite a few areas!

It's seems like we the parents know the thinking and logic is in there...somewhere swirling around in that big mushy thing between the ears...it's trying to find the right switch, and get it to click on and to actually function, is the challenge.
AMEN!

I've got a 22y/o that's still not quite grasping the bigger picture of "kindergarten rules apply" here still and for the rest of your life. (Smirks)

Herd Immunity isn't working for Sweden. Their numbers, including deaths, FAR surpass those of their neighboring countries.
This assumption seems a bit premature to me. Sweden did not lock down it's population and it's death toll is currently the highest per capita in Europe, but since the virus is still active, we will not know the true success rate of either strategy for quite some time. I'm certain that Sweden's economy has not been devastated due to the low number of COVID-19 deaths.

The death rate is still low. Cardiovascular disease and cancer kill more folks than anything else, yet we do not prohibit what causes these things. The logic does not bare the action. I do not want to have a heart attack so I watch my food intake, I do not smoke because it is a carcinogen, I use hand sanitizer while out in public to reduce the chances of getting infected. The government does not have to mandate any of this. People have free will and they can do what they believe is right, no one is preventing that.

According to the numbers, folks in TN have a .03% chance of dying from COVID-19. If TN is like most places, the majority of deaths involve commodities which would make the chance of dying for the healthy even lower.
Ok I'm sorry. That number is incorrect. Half of all adults have a diagnosed chronic health condition. If it's not you then that is your family, your friends, your neighbors and me. I have some health conditions that no amount of medication or lifestyle changes will ever cure. I have a 90% or higher chance of living a normal life with the treatments I'm on. But I'm at a very high risk from this virus if I should catch it. So are many members of my family because it is a genetic predisposition (that can also be triggered by a virus). But it's ok cause healthy people have nothing to worry about, us other people don't matter... :( I don't expect other people to give up anything. But I'm very disheartened at how few people volunteer it. It takes 2 seconds to put on a mask and could make such a huge difference. Meanwhile today I woke up to 3 new posts from FB friends who now have sick family members, one is in the care of hospice and I wonder why those few seconds weren't enough for them.

Oops I didn't think you implied anything. Just like you said, we know there's logic in there somewhere. Teenage brains are crosswired I swear. When I was around his age we had this English teacher everyone in the class thought he was mean and rude. We had him again a couple years later it finally dawned on us that he was just being sarcastic and freaking hilarious. *sigh*
Ahhh teachers and their mad-skillz!
Back in high school there was a Physics teacher who ALWAYS had a waiting list of kids that wanted to be in his classes.
His introductory statement to start classes every year?
"My name is Mr. Flloyd, don't worry I'm not prejudice, I hate you all equally."

No one ever complained about his tests being easy, homework light or the class was a waste of time. Nope. Everyone said the class was work the work. A few had more colorful words to describe it but, the jist was that he was pure awesomeness.

I also really wonder what some of the 'freedom' chest thumpers' would of been like, *If* we did a Time Warp & seen their reactions to when the ideas behind seatbelt, crash testing, crayon safety, the removal of lead from paint, the "no shirt, no shoes, no service"; the Tylenol needle scare, or clean water and air act's first became a healthly common sense awareness for us as a nation.
Some of us don't have to time warp for these...
I have worn a seat belt far longer than it has been the law. I do not need the government to mandate safety to me, I can reason and mitigate risk all on my own. I do not believe seatbelt laws should exist. Propagating stupidity genes should be against the law. I ride motorcycles and Iowa does not have helmet laws, yet I religiously wear mine.

Polio was a devastating virus in the early 20th century, but they never shut down the country because of it and we survived. It wasn't until the 70s that world wide prevention became a thing.

Removing lead from paint is different altogether, that is a common sense regulation in the consumer protection realm. It did not require that we sacrifice any liberties. I never had to stay at home because lead was taken out of paint. I didn't have to remove any lead paint that I may have had in my house when the regulation went into effect.

No shoes, no shirt no service is an example of liberty. It allows a business owner to refuse service to the public which is not adhering to their dress code. No one has the liberty to infringe on other's liberty.

Regulations that prohibit excessive pollution, as long as based in science, are not sacrificing liberty, they are ensuring it. Again, no one has the liberty to infringe on other's liberty.

OK, I will rant too. I have or should I say (had) a tenant on my property who didn't even believe any of this virus stuff was real, and never took any precautions at all. (she's the psycho) I have mentioned on BYC before, but last week she came to pay her rent. I told her I take things very seriously, and denied her payment. I asked her to pack her trailer, and leave my property!
HOW'S THAT FOR SERIOUS!:mad:
Note: Anyone who doesn't take me seriously, won't be living on my land, (virus or not!)
My animals, and neighbors, take me very seriously. :D

Ok I'm sorry. That number is incorrect. Half of all adults have a diagnosed chronic health condition. If it's not you then that is your family, your friends, your neighbors and me. I have some health conditions that no amount of medication or lifestyle changes will ever cure. I have a 90% or higher chance of living a normal life with the treatments I'm on. But I'm at a very high risk from this virus if I should catch it. So are many members of my family because it is a genetic predisposition (that can also be triggered by a virus). But it's ok cause healthy people have nothing to worry about, us other people don't matter... :( I don't expect other people to give up anything. But I'm very disheartened at how few people volunteer it. It takes 2 seconds to put on a mask and could make such a huge difference. Meanwhile today I woke up to 3 new posts from FB friends who now have sick family members, one is in the care of hospice and I wonder why those few seconds weren't enough for them.
It is not my responsibility to ensure you are healthy, and I should not be restrained because you are not healthy. Chronic Health Conditions include mood disorders, so if it is only half, they are probably under counting. Last I checked, being bipolar did not contribute to COVID mortality. According to recent studies, the lockdown orders has resulted in more mood disorders, so we pay Peter by taking from Paul. Who gets chastised for causing those chronic health issues?

For those that are not healthy, stay at home, wear a mask, take vitamins or whatever makes you feel better, but don't expect the rest of us to play along just because you are worried about you. It is not like anyone is searching out the at risk and coughing on them. The term "misery loves company" seems applicable here.

You don't expect others to give up anything, but you are disheartened when they don't? How does that work?

Back
Top Bottom