Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I haven’t dove into Overdrive too much either. I did get a few books though.

Im reading Where the Crawdads Sing... it was available so I snagged it instantly. On Kindle Unlimited, you had to pay for it, it wasn’t part of the unlimited. I have 21 days to read it, but I’m sure I’ll finish in 3 days.

I had to put my name on a waitlist for a lot of the books I wanted. A lot of them I’m #100+ in line:th
LOL...one of the reasons I use it mainly for non-fiction. Not many people are on waiting lists for books on tiling or kitchen remodels. 😆
If you like historical fiction and Sci-Fi Fantasy, I've got a good one. It's called "His Majesty's Dragon," by Naomi Novik. It's the first in the Temeraire series. It's unlike any dragon story I''ve ever read. It's set in the time of the Napoleonic Wars, and the characters of the backstory and some of the main drama are real and historically accurate - Lord Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar being among them. As a completely inadequate description, imagine the Napoleonic Wars where everyone had an Air Force ... of military officers and their dragons! It sounds "cutesy" but it's not. It's VERY well done! Totally escape-from-today's-reality worthy!

Then there's The Mortal Instruments Series (Cassandra Claire) - actually a series of series. It starts with "City of Bones," and it's Harry Potter-ish set in modern day New York. Did you know that there are tiny fairies living in the bushes of Central Park ... and that they BITE!? After reading this series ... I'm hard pressed not to be on the lookout for the nasty little buggers in my own local park!
Those sound like some interesting reads!

LOL...one of the reasons I use it mainly for non-fiction. Not many people are on waiting lists for books on tiling or kitchen remodels. 😆

Those sound like some interesting reads!
I am laughing so hard right now. I have put holds on a lot so as they come to me I will read them. I haven't watched tv in over a month because I read all day long. I guess that probably makes me sound lazy, but I do things then read and do more things then read some more.

DH has been waking up late every day, he must be hitting his phone alarm to shut it up. Today he was woken up by the beagle at 5 am because she was wondering why her coffee wasn't brewing :lau

I have seen a complete change to my world and I am honestly not hating it. I guess the virus has changed my life for the better in a way. I am more cautious about my health, I do not go places just because I can (spending less money), I am using services like food delivery and pick up (spending less money), I am spending more time at home with my animals (getting some nice outside exposure), I am in nature more often, I don't have drs appts every other week like I used to (not sure if this is a good thing or not yet), and chicken raising has really helped me mentally (depression, anxiety, and panic attacks).

That said I know not everyone can live like I can and completely change their life to fit the world today. I guess I am just enjoying being home. At first I was angry about having to be locked up, I even cried one day like a 2 year old because I felt like my whole life had been take away all because I couldn't walk at the stores on the weekend like I always did. Now I am completely into reading like I never have been before. Plus I have access to the library without it being open to the public and all through wonderful technology.

Somedays I hate technology, but right now I want to praise the local library for really helping me out in this time because without them I would be bedridden because my depression is out of control. Without books, I am not sure I could handle everything so well.

My heart still aches for all those that are lost to this virus. We have has 660 new cases overnight and they are saying its because of the large crowds that have been gathering the past week. It is still out there and has not gone away.

I just wrote a @KDOGG331 novel!!! I should get a gold star for that!

.... I guess that probably makes me sound lazy, but I do things then read and do more things then read some more.
Not at all. I think like most things, life ebbs and flows. I grew up with my nose in a book and there have been times in my life where I could freely read a fictional book or two a week. Right now, not so much.
I still read. Everyday. And my house looks like a mini library full of non-fiction and reference. But current times and needs (not related to Covid-19) means I'm reading to learn because I need to do something, make something, or accomplish something. I still enjoy fiction very much just never enough time in a day for me to indulge right now.
Which is why I like to use audio books. I can "read" and do at the same time.
Though with kiddo underfoot now I won't indulge in much of that until....well...I don't know when now.

At least for the moment consuming knowledge is keeping me sane.
Er, somewhat sane.

Not at all. I think like most things, life ebbs and flows. I grew up with my nose in a book and there have been times in my life where I could freely read a fictional book or two a week. Right now, not so much.
I still read. Everyday. And my house looks like a mini library full of non-fiction and reference. But current times and needs (not related to Covid-19) means I'm reading to learn because I need to do something, make something, or accomplish something. I still enjoy fiction very much just never enough time in a day for me to indulge right now.
Which is why I like to use audio books. I can "read" and do at the same time.
Though with kiddo underfoot now I won't indulge in much of that until....well...I don't know when now.

At least for the moment consuming knowledge is keeping me sane.
Er, somewhat sane.
I’d love to do audio books. My kindle can’t do audio books though so I’d have to do it on my phone.

Books, long, detailed, alternate worlds or similar, and so re-readable!:
Tolkein's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, and the long versions of the movies.
Gabaldon's 'Outlander' series, has a bit of everything, not for children for sure. Better than the TV series.
CJ Cherryh's 'Foreigner' series, straight SF.
Mysteries involving horses and horse people: Rita Mae Brown's 'Sister Jane' series, and anything by Dick Francis.
Mary

Books, long, detailed, alternate worlds or similar, and so re-readable!:
Tolkein's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, and the long versions of the movies.
Gabaldon's 'Outlander' series, has a bit of everything, not for children for sure. Better than the TV series.
CJ Cherryh's 'Foreigner' series, straight SF.
Mysteries involving horses and horse people: Rita Mae Brown's 'Sister Jane' series, and anything by Dick Francis.
Mary
I read The Hobbit (halfway) I did not like it. I guess it is because I am someone who likes details on every character even if its a hairy mole on their face. It helps me visualize what they would look like. I felt The Hobbit lacked lots of details.

Does the Lord of the Rings trilogy have better details of all the characters.

What is the Outlander series about? I have never seen the TV Series so maybe it would be nice to read it rather than seen it then read it like I tried to do with The Hobbit.

Thank you for all you suggestions. I am going to put a lot of these on my wishlist right now through the library so I can read them once I am done these other books.

The Hobbit is short, and The Lord of the Rings is three big volumes, full of detail, history, languages, a whole world. The movies are terrific, and leave a lot out, and I read the books (more than once!) first.
Outlander is historical fiction/ fantasy, but more than that, try it and see. Strong female leads, men in kilts, time travel, American Revolution, so much more.
Mary

The Hobbit is short, and The Lord of the Rings is three big volumes, full of detail, history, languages, a whole world. The movies are terrific, and leave a lot out, and I read the books (more than once!) first.
Outlander is historical fiction/ fantasy, but more than that, try it and see. Strong female leads, men in kilts, time travel, American Revolution, so much more.
Mary
Ok I got the 50th edition of the trilogy so I’m hoping it doesn’t disappoint me. The movies are amazing, but I can’t wait to see what was left out.

I have Outlander on my list too. I’ll never leave the house at this rate 😂

While I have watched the series and not read the books, I understand the Game of Thrones is a good read.
A series of novels containing fantasy, dragons, kingdoms, rulers, royalty, and science fiction all rolled into one giant fascinating story. 5 books so far, not sure if he's completed the 6th yet. And absolutely Not for kiddos of any age. George R. R. Martin

Back
Top Bottom