Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

How old is that video? 167,000 people dead since March is not what an average flu season looks like! I didn’t see a date on it but from what she said it sounds like something that could have been said months ago.
I'm not medically trained but with all the contradictions I've heard on this subject since this outbreak has not given me or the people around my area any direction at all.
It was interesting when Dr Kelly explained in one of her interviews that when someone has been tested positive and they are periodically tested throughout their illness that each test is another count.

I'm not here to argue just share my opinion as it stands today

If you're are medically qualified and know more please share. Just a learner here :)

When things started shutting down - especially in nursing homes, my brother went way down hill and they didn't think he had more than a couple days left. It was a 300 mile drive from here. His 3 sons went to visit. I called at 6AM to see if I could visit. The guy asked what relation he was to me. I told him I was his brother. He said, sure, come on down. My daughter picked me up and we rode together. When we got there, the day shift people said we couldn't see him. They were only allowing a spouse and children. A staff member suggested we go to the window and they would put the phone to his ear when I called. Then later, one of my nephews opened the window so we could talk to him through the window. Then his first wife asked if I could find a priest to give him last rites. That happened and he died about 4 hours later so I'm glad his sons, daughter, niece and I were able to say goodbye. I think he felt he could let go then.
Sorry for the bummer of a story.

I don't think you can have a second wave until the first one has been dealt with.

Our local pick your own place didn't do pick your own this year but they still sell the fruit.
Sorry for your loss. :hugs
Normally there are a million people there, so 250,000 is an improvement.
I saw that. I still shudder at the carelessness.
Saw on the news reporters asking people where they had come from and one had ridden up from FL. Said covid was just a joke and there was nothing to be concerned about at all. SMH.
I'm not medically trained but with all the contradictions I've heard on this subject since this outbreak has not given me or the people around my area any direction at all.
It was interesting when Dr Kelly explained in one of her interviews that when someone has been tested positive and they are periodically tested throughout their illness that each test is another count.

I'm not here to argue just share my opinion as it stands today

If you're are medically qualified and know more please share. Just a learner here :)
Many credible universities and medical research groups, such as Johns Hopkins, have been putting out info as they are learning. As we are getting some distance from the start of this disease, doctors are learning that this is no longer "just" a respiratory illness and how much different it is than the flu. Heck, organizations all over the world are racing to understanding this virus better because it is not behaving like viruses of the past.
Not to mention we have already blown way WAY past flu death averages for the last 10 years.

Johns Hopkins

CDC flu

Not what I was expecting to do today...
Reached in the fridge for something and forgot I had a whole gallon bag of zucchini slices waiting to be used for something. Hmmm, far too many for quick dishes, so I grabbed some frozen tomatoes from the big freezer (that I hadn't gotten around to saucing up yet) and now I have a big pot of zucchini tomato marinara going. House smells like an Italian eatery.

I'll keep some to top zucchini pasta and the rest I'll probably dry into marinara leather. One good thing about using the dehydrator vs canning, I don't have to worry about acid levels whatsoever and can add whatever I want to the sauces.

I mean, every nurse and doctor I know has said that PPE is the way to go. Where I live most doctors, our lead doctor working on the virus response and several childrens hospitals are suggesting masks for anyone in kindergarten and older who can't maintain social distancing or who are indoors at all. Ohio nurses association says to wear masks. Anthony Fauci, one of the most experienced and decorated doctors in the whole nation with more viral containment experience in his pinky toe than in any of our bodies combined, who has served under Obama, Trump, Clinton AND Bush suggests it.
In countries that have mandated masks and isolation early and aggressively case counts and deaths are down.
Here's a study showing high mask wearing compliance reduced case counts by a factor of ten;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7177146/

And here's one showing that even in the US when compliance is spotty and terrible it goes down consistently, and more the longer it goes on.
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

Like this was just a quick google search. I'll trust these professional, experienced, evidence based sources over someone hand picked for an interview by a media company to boost ratings by citing unrelated flu studies any day.

I mean, every nurse and doctor I know has said that PPE is the way to go. Where I live most doctors, our lead doctor working on the virus response and several childrens hospitals are suggesting masks for anyone in kindergarten and older who can't maintain social distancing or who are indoors at all. Ohio nurses association says to wear masks. Anthony Fauci, one of the most experienced and decorated doctors in the whole nation with more viral containment experience in his pinky toe than in any of our bodies combined, who has served under Obama, Trump, Clinton AND Bush suggests it.
In countries that have mandated masks and isolation early and aggressively case counts and deaths are down.
Here's a study showing high mask wearing compliance reduced case counts by a factor of ten;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7177146/

And here's one showing that even in the US when compliance is spotty and terrible it goes down consistently, and more the longer it goes on.
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

Like this was just a quick google search. I'll trust these professional, experienced, evidence based sources over someone hand picked for an interview by a media company to boost ratings by citing unrelated flu studies any day.
I’ve always worn masks because of my lungs it’s nothing new to me how it helps during flu season and with other viruses and such

I saw that. I still shudder at the carelessness.
Saw on the news reporters asking people where they had come from and one had ridden up from FL. Said covid was just a joke and there was nothing to be concerned about at all. SMH.
Yeah, keep laughing. It is a joke till you have it.
Everyone that gets infected and thought it was fake news warned from their deathbed that it isn't fake.

I wear masks during flu season if I'm sick, especially around my sister who is immune compromised. I also wore one at my own Yule party after I got strep even though I was outside of the 95%+ non-contagious window.

Like, I agree. It's not hard. Worst case scenario if the entire international professional medical community and I are wrong - I've worn a mask and been extra careful preparing food for a while. Mask wearing isn't exactly challenging. TBH I can think of some clothing items I'd much prefer to not wear but do every day - mostly for other peoples comfort - anyhow. Worse case scenario if anti-maskers are wrong - thousands to millions die needlessly. With overwhelming evidence for mask wearing from both publicly accessible studies and professional suggestion on top of that it's not exactly a hard choice to make.

Back
Top Bottom