Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

For the other nerds out there... Shark week started last night. 🦈🦈🌊🐟🦈🦈

Now that the majority of the shows are back to geeky science and less hokey celebrity/let us scare you crap shows I'm happy as a clam. Excellent diversion from current events too.
I have been watching shark shows for a week!

For the other nerds out there... Shark week started last night. 🦈🦈🌊🐟🦈🦈

Now that the majority of the shows are back to geeky science and less hokey celebrity/let us scare you crap shows I'm happy as a clam. Excellent diversion from current events too.
Thanks for the reminder! Gotta watch it! And wait they’re really back to science!? That’s amazing haha

So the kiln-project I tried to bug some pals about has blown up into some giant thing where everyone wants me to do their own project. (Some want me to fire things for them, some want me to build it out of specific materials or source them from weird places or make it a certain size, some of them are suggesting it might be illegal (it's not) so I should build in in a certain location, etc.) So I'm thinking I'll just get a load of red clay bricks, slap on some high temperature mortar, and if they crack they crack. It only needs to stand for like a year.

Note that not one of them answered my original question of "Do you know anyone who might have this lying around at a discount". :p Derp.
It's a shame you're not closer to me. I have a big, beautiful kiln just taking up space in my garage, at the moment. I used to do porcelain dolls, but don't trust the wiring in my old house to run a commercial unit like that without blowing up. I sure would love to find it a good home.

1- I have a 9 tray Excalibur like this (mine is exactly the same, but older)
https://excaliburdehydrator.com/pro...timer-solid-door-black?variant=31260242051204

Bought....um..*squinches up face*...maybe 12+ years ago off Amazon for about $200.
Worth. Every. Penny!! (yes, I'd get it again!)
2- Don't know...after I found my Exc I was in dehydrator heaven and quit looking.
3- Inexpensive round ones that you might find at Target, WallyWorld, and places like that. I started with a round one from WW and performance was poor (very spotty) and frustration was high! I gave it away.
4- Don't even mess with a poor quality model. Period. While I can't say the Exc is the best one out there, as I quit paying attention after I got mine, I will say a square model with temp settings and easy clean trays like my Exc is the way to go.

If you can think of it.... I have dried it, including eggs. Not jerky though, because I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Motor is at the back and blows across all the trays very well. I do have to switch trays maybe halfway through if I'm doing leathers or purees/sauces because the very top and bottom tray take longer. But for greens, herbs, or quick dry stuff, I just turn it on before bed and wake up to a box full of evenly dried goodness.

At the time choices were not as plentiful, but I spent a fair amount of time reading about models, features, and reviews. Lots and lots of reviews. 🥴
The other thing that was SUPER helpful, was reading dehydrator books. Once you browse a book (check for used books, or your library for an e-book) you will be amazed at what all you can dry with a good model. And once you can envision how helpful it will be for your personal needs you will understand better the need for a quality unit.

I recommend anyone who is serious...buy some books/used books. They tell you the proper way to prep foods and the target moisture you are trying to reach. There are also books out there just for making dishes/recipes from dried foods.

I've said it before...not a prepper, nor have I ever been. But my previous house was tiny and I just did not have room for a gazillion jars of canned foods. However I had 2 very large gardens and often items left over from selling at the Farmer's Markets. Dried foods take only 1/4 the space and last a lot longer than canned. Sure, it's different...but if for whatever reason I could not leave my house for several months, or get food delivered, we would have plenty to eat. Boring perhaps, but we would not go hungry.

As for the cost...mine paid for itself quickly! I used it to dry fruits and squashes/pumpkins for some fall and Christmas wreaths one year and they sold like hotcakes. Some states do not allow you to sell dried herbs, but I was able to at my old FM. And, people love getting my dried herbs as holiday gifts.

Sorry for the block of text...but you already know what happens when you ask me a nerdy question... *cough* ...ginger....*cough* 😜
NOT ever *sorry* to gain wisdom. Especially when asked for...... :goodpost:

It's a shame you're not closer to me. I have a big, beautiful kiln just taking up space in my garage, at the moment. I used to do porcelain dolls, but don't trust the wiring in my old house to run a commercial unit like that without blowing up. I sure would love to find it a good home.
Hmmmmmmm.... I wonder if "_____x_____" has family in that area?

Back
Top Bottom