Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Honesty - he's doing OK right now. Sleepy mostly, lots of aches and headaches. Some dizziness too. His fever is all but gone now, he's hovering around normal to 99*F medicated.

The one good thing - for THIS bout of COVID at least, both D and G get paid time off for 14 days.
But we're wondering - if D doesn't get it this time and then catches it later, will that be covered too?
Who knows, yet? But the advantage is that if y'all get it again, even if it's a slightly mutated strain, the antigens will already be in place to fight it.

Early this week there was a sudden unexpected death in the family. The 47 year old husband of one of my nieces had a heart attack and died as he was getting ready to go to work. He was a good guy and stabilizing force for this family. There is a viewing tomorrow - 1-2 for the elderly or immunocompromised. Masking, distancing will be required. The feeling me feels an overwhelming need to attend. The rational me says - you have isolated from your immediate family for an entire year - stay home. Quandry. The Princess says she will abide by whatever I decide, but if I go she is going. :barnie
My father passed a week ago. There will be no viewing and a VERY private interment - if and when we get the official go-ahead for it. He's been cremated - the first of his family, so that was controversial. but necessary, due to covid . Luckily, it was his request, anyway, many months ago, when this Covid mess really ramped up. Boy, that was a tough conversation that none of us wanted to have, but I'm so grateful we did ... a lesson for the rest of us! The next generation is at or approaching retirement, now, so we're all at risk, and there are youngsters all the way down to newborns. Add to that the back-up at funeral homes and crematoriums, and everything got pushed off pretty far.

With that in mind, Dad made it very clear that there was to be NO solemn, mourning wake where people could get sick. He wanted a PARTY. All of the cousins and his one surviving sister (82 with "stable" breast cancer) are on board. With stories of the wonderful family gatherings we had, growing up, the youngsters who missed it all are excited to share the experience - especially the Watermelon Baths. Ya gotta love big Italian, Depression Era families! One of these days, I'll have to dig out the pictures of the Family Fourth of July parties.

Sometime this summer (or next, if we must,) there will be a great, big, all-out Italian party for all of the extended family. It's liable to be the biggest family reunion we've ever had ... and it's the one bright and shining spot in this whole lurid virus mess.

So, steal the idea, if you want. If you and the Princess aren't comfortable going to a big viewing, start making plans for a grand Celebration of Life! If you need to make a showing, arrange with the facility for a private viewing. Most will accommodate that, these days.

Well, it's here. My husband tested positive for Covid. He's been mild to moderately sick for several days. I tested negative, but I assume I am, or will, be positive. We're okay right now. I finally signed up for grocery delivery and we don't think we've infected anyone else. (though we recommended a few family members get tested just to be safe) Sigh. 🤧
We're gonna have to start our own little (but growing) group. We can call be the PDCC -The Pre-Disastered Covid Club!

My father passed a week ago. There will be no viewing and a VERY private interment - if and when we get the official go-ahead for it. He's been cremated - the first of his family, so that was controversial. but necessary, due to covid . Luckily, it was his request, anyway, many months ago, when this Covid mess really ramped up. Boy, that was a tough conversation that none of us wanted to have, but I'm so grateful we did ... a lesson for the rest of us! The next generation is at or approaching retirement, now, so we're all at risk, and there are youngsters all the way down to newborns. Add to that the back-up at funeral homes and crematoriums, and everything got pushed off pretty far.

With that in mind, Dad made it very clear that there was to be NO solemn, mourning wake where people could get sick. He wanted a PARTY. All of the cousins and his one surviving sister (82 with "stable" breast cancer) are on board. With stories of the wonderful family gatherings we had, growing up, the youngsters who missed it all are excited to share the experience - especially the Watermelon Baths. Ya gotta love big Italian, Depression Era families! One of these days, I'll have to dig out the pictures of the Family Fourth of July parties.

Sometime this summer (or next, if we must,) there will be a great, big, all-out Italian party for all of the extended family. It's liable to be the biggest family reunion we've ever had ... and it's the one bright and shining spot in this whole lurid virus mess.

So, steal the idea, if you want. If you and the Princess aren't comfortable going to a big viewing, start making plans for a grand Celebration of Life! If you need to make a showing, arrange with the facility for a private viewing. Most will accommodate that, these days.
:hugs
I'm so sorry to hear about your father!

It's pretty hard when we don't have any sort of national consensus or guidance on what is or isn't good practices. :idunno

In any case, G's test was DEFINATELY a nasal swab. And false negatives definitely happen. Just because someone has been tested negative doesn't mean they are but if they test positive they very much are.
We have to be careful how we react to the dearth of info, though. As the same pharmacist pointed out to me, the info isn't there because anyone is hiding it or lying about it. It's not there because the virus is so new that we just don't know, yet. Even though we can see the arched horizon, we're still sailing carefully to keep from falling off the edge of the Flat Earth ... just in case our hypotheses are wrong or a sea monster shows up to eat the ship!

Sad family situation here. Many years ago I severed all contact with her mother - that was a good thing. Problem is that my interaction with my 7 nieces and nephews has been very limited since then. The deceased actually served as a conduit for information between the two families.
Okay - that brings me full circle to a conversation I had with a cousin who was lamenting a similar situation with an in-law. Her comment was that, once the glue that holds a family together passes on, the family drifts - or falls - apart.

My response to her was simple. Be the Glue!

My response to her was simple. Be the Glue!

I was the glue as long as my mother was alive. On the day we buried our mother this sister through her actions that day and the compilation of a lifetime of her behavior freed me. I can't go back there again, and I won't go back there again. I miss my nephews and nieces, but the cost of dealing with their mother is far too high.

Back
Top Bottom