Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I am new to this thread. I am a nurse in a community hospital in the largest city in my state. We are absolutely slammed and overwhelmed. Our beds are full and we are shuffling patients around, trying to make room for everyone who needs care, trying to isolate the COVID+ patients and trying to protect those who are not infected. Our ICU is full. We are taking less acute cases from the large teaching hospital, which is diverting all the patients it can to us and other smaller community hospitals.

Our patients are sicker, because they’re staying home for longer before seeking help. We are seeing more codes than ever before, when we have to perform emergency measures to bring a patient back to life (if we can). We are short staffed and our docs, nurses, techs etc are all burnt out and stressed. Administration is largely unsupportive or absent. We get sick too. There is no hazard pay.

And yet, patients regularly tell me how they think COVID is a hoax. I wish I could show them the patients who are on vents and who are dying alone. It’s heartbreaking and frustrating. I feel so discouraged and it feels like we are working against an unstoppable wall of ignorance.

Thanks for letting me vent. And please wear your masks.

I am new to this thread. I am a nurse in a community hospital in the largest city in my state. We are absolutely slammed and overwhelmed. Our beds are full and we are shuffling patients around, trying to make room for everyone who needs care, trying to isolate the COVID+ patients and trying to protect those who are not infected. Our ICU is full. We are taking less acute cases from the large teaching hospital, which is diverting all the patients it can to us and other smaller community hospitals.

Our patients are sicker, because they’re staying home for longer before seeking help. We are seeing more codes than ever before, when we have to perform emergency measures to bring a patient back to life (if we can). We are short staffed and our docs, nurses, techs etc are all burnt out and stressed. Administration is largely unsupportive or absent. We get sick too. There is no hazard pay.

And yet, patients regularly tell me how they think COVID is a hoax. I wish I could show them the patients who are on vents and who are dying alone. It’s heartbreaking and frustrating. I feel so discouraged and it feels like we are working against an unstoppable wall of ignorance.

Thanks for letting me vent. And please wear your masks.

Thanks for doing what you do.

Hi kat_and_hens and welcome to this thread.

I'm sorry Covid is finally being felt in ME. You've been incredibly lucky for a long time.

I hear what you're saying. As the mother of an ICU nurse at LA's largest public hospital I've been hearing this for a year now. I know the exhaustion and depression that you guys have to work through to help those you can.

First of all, I hope you're vaccinated. Then, I hope this is a release for you and not a re-experience of what you've had to deal with all day and know you'll have to go back to tomorrow. For your own sake, I hope you'll understand that most of us get it and support you and that you'll put on "ignore" those who refuse to accept reality.

Ivermectin and hcq are over the counter in much of the world partly because they have very low and tolerable side effects.
https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina.../faq-covid-19-and-ivermectin-intended-animals
Screenshot_20210119-120532.png

"HCQ has been heavily politicized but seriously debunked scientifically and may actually make things worse. FDA banned it's use for Coronavirus for not improving recovery and causing frequent complications."

This is actually totally false. Firstly, the reason HCQ is shown to be effective as it is an IONOPHORE which has the property of binding ions and in this role in the body to combat Covid19, what it does is draw Zinc into the human cell which help to stop the virus from replicating. Other chemicals that work this way include: Quinine (a naturally occurring product which HCQ is a chemical replica of), Quercetin, and others.

Second, HCQ is a product that has been used for decades in areas where malaria is common and people take it all their life as a precaution against catching it. It is one of the safest medications in the world. It replaced Quinine for that purpose when enough Quinine was unable to be found to meet the need. This is not to say that SOME people may have a bad reaction to it or have complications from it. All medication has some frequency of causing new problems, that goes w the territory and is not a reason to discard the use of the product unless the % of people experiencing negative side effects reaches some threshold where it can be deemed more dangerous than helpful.

Third HCQ was heavily politicized by people on the same side of the argument who claim its usefulness was "seriously debunked" or that is use may "make things worse". How convenient to be part of the discussion when you get to create the problem ("HCQ should not be used because Trump likes it!") and then have control of how the problem will be solved ("We will tell everyone that its use is debunked and that it's dangerous and that will be the only information anyone gets to hear.")

No one should have an expectation that anyone in the media is telling the truth about anything these days. They are the enemy of the people.

Hi kat_and_hens and welcome to this thread.

I'm sorry Covid is finally being felt in ME. You've been incredibly lucky for a long time.

I hear what you're saying. As the mother of an ICU nurse at LA's largest public hospital I've been hearing this for a year now. I know the exhaustion and depression that you guys have to work through to help those you can.

First of all, I hope you're vaccinated. Then, I hope this is a release for you and not a re-experience of what you've had to deal with all day and know you'll have to go back to tomorrow. For your own sake, I hope you'll understand that most of us get it and support you and that you'll put on "ignore" those who refuse to accept reality.

Thanks Rainey. I am vaccinated, luckily! I wish my husband (a teacher) and my parents, with their health issues, could be. I hope it will be more widely available soon.

yes, Maine did really well during the first wave. Our governor did a great job with strict quarantine and shutdown. Unfortunately there has been a LOT of pressure and she has loosened up restrictions a lot. We now have indoor dining and no enforcements on out of state quarantines. Predictably, our cases are rising accordingly.

I hope your child is safe out in LA. I have friends out there and I worry about them very much.

It helps to talk about it sometimes but others, yes, better to just put my head down and keep working.

thanks for your support.

That's just the asymptomatic portion of the population. The 1-in-3 in Los Angeles who're infected would represent 3.2 million people with serious scarring of their lungs.

Maybe you can dismiss that but that's the productivity and future medical costs of one major metropolitan area.

You've made clear how you feel about it so I have no interest in pursuing anything more with you.
So you are saying that some scientist somewhere has found all these folks that are sick, but don't know they are sick because they are not presenting any symptoms, yet they have scarring on their lungs, which they know is from COVID, because COVID left it's signature and they know without a doubt that 70-80% of folks that have no other symptoms have lung scarring. Pardon me if I through out the BS flag on this one. This one will need some verification. This is the kind of the sky is falling speak that makes folks like me go hmmm...

I personally know a dozen people that have been diagnosed with COVID 19 and recovered. Not one of them has been diagnosed with any lasting affects. I also know of a handful of people that died with COVID. One I can say even died from COVID. Statistically, if 70-80% have lung scarring, at least one of the folks I know should have presented with lung complications. Hmmm...

Just so ya know, my daughter is in LA and works in a COVID ICU. She has worked in a COVID ICU since last March. She has been in San Antonio, El Paso and now LA. All have been hot spots. She too is not concerned. She follows protective protocols as she always does, but when outside of the hospital, she continues with her life very much as I do. She did get the first series of the vaccine and will get the second when it is time. If I were her, I would too. As I am not likely to contract the virus, I am not likely to get the vaccine.

I'm not saying COVID is not deadly and I never have. I have never advised anyone to not get a vaccine. I am not anti-vaccine. I simply am not worried about it and I am not going to sacrifice my liberty on the .0012% chance that I might catch it, and if I do get it, the .12% chance that I will not survive. Life is to short to worry about these small things, none of us are getting out of here alive, and although I'm in no hurry, I'm not dreading the next life.

Back
Top Bottom