Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Just because someone has a different view than you doesn’t make you right or any smarter. I question everything.
It's good to question things, but wrong to disregard evidence (and/or take it out of context and distort it) just to continue laboring under false beliefs. Yeah, an evidence-based conclusion could also be wrong but I think it's a lot more respectable to base conclusions on evidence rather than conspiracy theories and n=1 anecdotes. Moreover, those who aren't very bright are FAR less effective at interpreting data, though it's obviously also possible for one to be bright but still be conditioned into believing something demonstrably false.

Just because someone has a different view than you doesn’t make you right or any smarter. I question everything.
A different view has no value when it’s not true and it’s something that undermines the health or wellbeing of many people. I do understand people saying a lockdown is not good for the sanity of lots of people. I also listen with interest to people that have good arguments why it’s important to gather only outside or in very good ventilated rooms. I enjoy strangeness in art.

But I think it’s plain stupid if someone says you shouldn’t get vaccinated because Bill Gates made it possible you get injected with a chip to control you’re life. Other things happening are influencers that lie about why famous people died. Some influencers shout the most ridiculous things without having any knowledge of what truly happened.

I rather listen to opinions and conversations that contribute to a better, more beautiful way of life.
It does make me smarter to read articles from reliable sources and listen to smart and educated people. And I am open to new theories with good arguments (scientific approach) too.

Reading and listening to the stupid/influencers as described above only makes me sad or angry. And it’s sad that so many people rather believe things that make no sense then believing people who are smart and independent.

Well said @CarpCharacin. I was writing this at the same time but with only limited possibilities to express myself in English.

I’d just encourage you not to spend so much time questioning that you never live. I know someone who can never decide and it seems like a rough life.

A different view has no value when it’s not true and it’s something that undermines the health or wellbeing of many people. I do understand people saying a lockdown is not good for the sanity of lots of people. I also listen with interest to people that have good arguments why it’s important to gather only outside or in very good ventilated rooms. I enjoy strangeness in art.

But I think it’s plain stupid if someone says you shouldn’t get vaccinated because Bill Gates made it possible you get injected with a chip to control you’re life. Other things happening are influencers that lie about why famous people died. Some influencers shout the most ridiculous things without having any knowledge of what truly happened.

I rather listen to opinions and conversations that contribute to a better, more beautiful way of life.
It does make me smarter to read articles from reliable sources and listen to smart and educated people. And I am open to new theories with good arguments (scientific approach) too.

Reading and listening to the stupid/influencers as described above only makes me sad or angry. And it’s sad that so many people rather believe things that make no sense then believing people who are smart and independent.

Well said @CarpCharacin. I was writing this at the same time but with only limited possibilities to express myself in English.
How do you know what is “true”. Do some research.

I’d just encourage you not to spend so much time questioning that you never live. I know someone who can never decide and it seems like a rough life.
I am living my life to the fullest. I am not hiding behind a mask and in my house. I realize the risks I take and what could be the consequences.

The mask mandate got dropped this past week at my church, as well as other businesses I visit. Since then, I caught a nasty sinus infection. I got both COVID vaccinations, but it's good to remember that masks don't just help slow the spread of COVID, but cold/flu viruses as well.

Reopening anxiety is also hitting. I kept my mask off for a grand total of 10 minutes in a grocery store, but it made me way too nervous to not wear it. Shucks.

NYT has a very good article about reopening anxiety.

Back
Top Bottom