Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Covid is how I got into wanting to raise Ducks again. I had them years ago and loved them but they kept flying off so I had to get rid of them. The ones I have now are mostly pioned so they don't leave me or they are too big to fly. I drive a school bus so I was out of work and needed a hobby to keep me busy. I had lost my Mom who I cared for, 4 years ago, and I still have my grown Son with a brain tumor and had a stroke along with a lifetime of illness but I still needed a hobby. That brought me to this site and I have loved hearing others stories.

Covid is how I got into wanting to raise Ducks again. I had them years ago and loved them but they kept flying off so I had to get rid of them. The ones I have now are mostly pioned so they don't leave me or they are too big to fly. I drive a school bus so I was out of work and needed a hobby to keep me busy. I had lost my Mom who I cared for, 4 years ago, and I still have my grown Son with a brain tumor and had a stroke along with a lifetime of illness but I still needed a hobby. That brought me to this site and I have loved hearing others stories.
So glad you're here. And I hope you find comfort here as well. I don't raise ducks but I've heard you can clip their primary flight wings to keep them from flying away. There is however a wealth of information to be found here so feel free to browse and post questions. :welcome

So glad you're here. And I hope you find comfort here as well. I don't raise ducks but I've heard you can clip their primary flight wings to keep them from flying away. There is however a wealth of information to be found here so feel free to browse and post questions. :welcome
Thanks so much. You are right, you can clip their feathers but mine do not like to be caught or picked up. I used to get scratched really bad and would just about break my neck trying to catch them. My neighbors have a pittbull that kill them if they flew over the fence so even though some people do not agree with pioning them, it keeps them safe and alive and they honestly can still get off the ground at least two feet and seem perfectly happy because they don't know any difference. I love this site!!!

Thanks so much. You are right, you can clip their feathers but mine do not like to be caught or picked up. I used to get scratched really bad and would just about break my neck trying to catch them. My neighbors have a pittbull that kill them if they flew over the fence so even though some people do not agree with pioning them, it keeps them safe and alive and they honestly can still get off the ground at least two feet and seem perfectly happy because they don't know any difference. I love this site!!!
Can't say my rooster likes it very much to be picked up either. But a towel does the trick. It definitely helps though to have someone to assist you. You could try grabbing them at night while theyre sleeping. When I have to trim my "big man's"(that's my nickname for him) spurs I grab him at night with the towel and my hubby clips them and applies cornstarch if needed and then we pop him right back in. I'd say it takes about 1 minute total, if that. Not trying to say anything wrong about your methods just providing some incite

Can't say my rooster likes it very much to be picked up either. But a towel does the trick. It definitely helps though to have someone to assist you. You could try grabbing them at night while theyre sleeping. When I have to trim my "big man's"(that's my nickname for him) spurs I grab him at night with the towel and my hubby clips them and applies cornstarch if needed and then we pop him right back in. I'd say it takes about 1 minute total, if that. Not trying to say anything wrong about your methods just providing some incite
My pen is huge and they are not enclosed at night. That is another problem plus the dark. I have a total of 12 ducks and the pen is covered and has several houses they can escape into. They all went crazy today when I put new sand in the pen, hiding everywhere because they were afraid of the container I was hauling it in, lol. I used to clip my ducks I had years ago but then clipped both wings not knowing I was only to do one and they still would fly way off and I would have to chase them down. Thanks for the information though, I do appreciate it and am glad you can do your Rooster.

My pen is huge and they are not enclosed at night. That is another problem plus the dark. I have a total of 12 ducks and the pen is covered and has several houses they can escape into. They all went crazy today when I put new sand in the pen, hiding everywhere because they were afraid of the container I was hauling it in, lol. I used to clip my ducks I had years ago but then clipped both wings not knowing I was only to do one and they still would fly way off and I would have to chase them down. Thanks for the information though, I do appreciate it and am glad you can do your Rooster.
You can find more information in the articles section and the ducks thread. Again I just raise chickens...for now ;). The importance is practicing good animal husbandry regardless of how you make it work. As long as you are happy and your birds are happy nothing is broken.👍

I can't seem to get the link to load. Maybe it's been taken down already?
Sorry. I don't do Twitter so it's a link to a link.
It is Dr. Deborah Birx of the White House Coronavirus Taskforce saying that when the Goverment told us the vaccine was effective at stopping the infection, they were actually were just 'Hoping' it would work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom