Corrugated plastic roof

Rafters are 2x4s and purlins are?
In the picture I showed, the rafters are 2X6 and the purlins are 1x4, but that is on a large lean to off my shed. For a chicken coop I would probably use 2X4s for the rafters. On one side, the spacing between the rafters is less than 2 feet simply because the spacing worked out that way. There is a ridge cap for both corrugated roofing or galvalume type roofing to install at the peak.

https://www.metalsales.us.com/syste.../corrugated-installatioin-guide-08-2016_0.pdf

https://www.metalsales.us.com/syste...ides/classic-rib-installation-guide8-2016.pdf

Last edited:
I'm doing a sloped roof-about 5 inch slope on both sides--what do I put across the top on the center(I guess the main beam) across. can I just over lap the panels. Not sure if this makes sense.
I assume that you are talking about some jind of ridge cap. That should be available in 10 foot sections at the store you are buying roofing material at. Or, make your own from a piece of metal, letting it lap over both sides of the slope 3 to 4 inches. Fasten it to the highs(top of ribs) on the roof panels on both sides.
I do not have to worry about snow loading where I live, but, if you have a snow problem, be sure to put enough fasteners to prevent material from saggging under the load

I used it, thought it a great idea until we had a horrible rain/wind storm & a corner caved in. Went back to Home Depot, they apologized and said they'd refund me ... I had taken pictures. I then called the manufactures, they told me our "extreme" summer heat may have been the cause of the material weakening :rolleyes: Thought this was of green houses? Anyway we replaced with corrugated material.

After seeing @Brahma Chicken5000 pictures of the rafters, ours may have been too wide, think Hubby did a 14" spacing. Loved that it was light weight & let light in.
Yes, if the plastic (which I think is actually fiberglass?), is in direct sunlight it gets hot, it warps really bad, and can crack and break easily. Works much better if you have shade from trees.

Would corrugated plastic sheeting like for a greenhouse be good for a roof material?
I installed both corrugated metal and clear plastic in sections to provide both sunlight and shade from overhead sun. Has worked well for now 10 years. However, will lift in high winds on the edges, leaving gaps for easy predator entry. Install mesh or chicken wire first and staple to roof supports and exterior walls. This helps support roofing as well. You can’t ‘overdo’ it when it comes to outsmarting predators!

I installed both corrugated metal and clear plastic in sections to provide both sunlight and shade from overhead sun. Has worked well for now 10 years. However, will lift in high winds on the edges, leaving gaps for easy predator entry. Install mesh or chicken wire first and staple to roof supports and exterior walls. This helps support roofing as well. You can’t ‘overdo’ it when it comes to outsmarting predators!

And if you're really being careful, use welded wire rather than chicken wire and screws with metal washers rather than staples.

What I had over the run worked fine until a freak hail storm last July punched holes the size of a fist into most of it. Still picking up pieces now and then. I've had to rethink that option although I still like the idea.

What I had over the run worked fine until a freak hail storm last July punched holes the size of a fist into most of it. Still picking up pieces now and then. I've had to rethink that option although I still like the idea.
Those freak hail storms will punch holes through the 29 gauge steel sheets on occasion, too. There is no perfect material for homes and businesses, either. Put what you are comfortable with on the roof. Steel, fiberglass(plastic), shingles, or none at all on the run. Shingles are sold in typically 1/3 square(33 SF) bundles, can often find damaged packs for free to nearly free. For shingles, you will need a solid deck, which means more framing to support the plywood or OSB decking. There ain't no perfect way! I have changed my mind about the roof line on mine several times. Now considering a single slope. With my steel panels, I need no roof framing except at the edges, but may go back to sloping both ways to make rainproof ventilation easier. Time for a trip to Lowe's...

They cost more, but if there is a metal building contractor close to you, their skylight panels are a lot thicker than big box store materials. Most will span 5 feet, but will hold more load with framing at 2 foot centers. If translucency is not what you are looking for, buy their 26 gauge steel panels

Back
Top Bottom