Corrugated Plastic Roof?

What we bought is called suntuf polycarbonate roofing, and it was around $20 for an 8' piece from Home Depot. . . We bought clear, but there are plenty of colors to choose from. It was easy to install and relatively easy to cut - We used wire cutters.

Our coop is in a very shady location so we welcome any sunlight we can get (reason we chose clear). We installed it at about a 30 degree slope. As long as it can handle the weight of pesky critters I'm happy with it. I am concerned it will get dirty easily though. My plan is to get on a ladder and hose it off periodically. We're getting a few inches of rain here in Georgia tomorrow - I look forward to seeing my chickens stay dry for once!

Here are come pictures where you can see the slope. We covered the first 1/4 of the run with hardware cloth.
34304_dsc_0379.jpg
34304_dsc_0380.jpg

We have the clear corrugated polycarbonate roof for the run for almost a year now. Love it!

These panels were installed on a 4:1 slope, so there is no problem with the rain or snow. Just hose it down to clean. In the winter time, we also installed more of these panels vertically to shield the run (the back side and the top 6" to 12" of the run were left opened for ventilation). These panels were a lot more expensive than the PVC type, but they are extremely durable, definitely worth the investment to provide an year-round safe and usable activity area for our chickens.

Summer Coop:

Winter Coop:

Top view:

I have the clear roofing on my cockatiel and budgie aviaries. My cat walks across them and plenty of squirrels with no issues and the oldest one has been up well over a year so far. I think the trick to keeping it from cracking is plenty of support and plenty of roof screws to keep it from flexing :D

edit: I'm in florida with harsh sunlight but no snow loads.

Last edited:
Do you have more pictures of your coop setup you could share? We started raising chickens just a month ago but have been inundated this week with unexpected rain, making us rethink how we have things configured. We have a 10' x 10' dog kennel enclosure surrounding a 2' x 5' roost and run. We are looking right now at a temporary covering with corrugated plastic that may one day become a full shed-type coop.

I will post some to you when I get home from work. We used corrugated metal on part of the run closest to coop house, corrugated plastic in the next section , and hog wire roofing on the end section furthest from coop house. Metal provides shade, plastic allows sun with reduced intensity, and wire roof allows suntanning opportunities
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom