Corrugated plastic roofing for coop?

We had planned on purchasing polycarb for the coop's roof but it was $27 a sheet!! :mad: Then we saw corrugated metal is only $14.40 a sheet so we bought that. Besides being cheaper, the metal can be sold for scrap if it's no longer needed where we would have to pay to take polycarb to the dump. We may still get some polycarb for the run when we feel more flush. For now the top of the run will be chicken wire. Also my honey thinks the metal will be easier to install than the polycarb.

We'll be using corrugated plastic. We found it at Lowes - its 12 feet by 24 inches and comes in clear, smoke, dark green and beige (last two are opaque). It was around $12 a sheet and the wavy furring strips were maybe another $8 a package. They also had special deck screws that were $6 a box I think.

It's designed for greenhouses and awning roofing and it's not stiff like polycarb; it does flex on the long side. We're building the playhouse coop though and that roof is so small that I don't think it will be a problem. We'll need a roof ridge of some kind - maybe we'll use flashing for that.

We almost missed it at Lowes - it was at the very back of the roofing section and there was lumber inventory parked in front of it!

So you may need to ask for it if you're looking for it.

~Phyllis

Last edited:
Okay, I went and confused myself (again)...

When I say corrugated plastic I think of the stuff that is used for election/etc signs. It's built like cardboard (corrugated = layer, zigzaggy, layer) but it's made of plastic. (supposedly available at sign shops... but you might mention what it's for so you get a good price)

I've never heard of that stuff being clear though, so I got a picture in my head that you meant that fiberglass roofing stuff, that's wavy. (that you find at Home Despot)

I was curious about using Coroplast, but didn't know if it could hold up... which is how I stumbled across this topic.... anyone?

Last edited:
I've been googling. Seems as though lately they've started making roofing that's just like the fiberglass (looks anyways) but made of plastic. I think that's where my confusion stems from. It's wavy (aka corrugated) and it is plastic, rather than fiberglass so it makes sense to call it corrugated plastic.

I picture this version of corrugated plastic though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic

So... which one are you guys talking about that works? I mean I know that Coroplast couldn't stand alone against wind/rain/snow.. but as a waterproof layer (on top of your plywood) I wonder if it would hold up. Probably have to get the specially treated against UV kind though if you were using it outside... hmmm...

Last edited:
Good points Pine. I was talking about the wavy stuff but now that you bring it up I realize my terminology may have been off a bit.

I think they make a corrugated plastic or polycarb for greenhouses.

I have metal roofing over my coop and 1/2 of the run, and clear corrugated plastic over 1/2 of the run. I LOVE IT!!! It will let more heat in during the day and more cold in at night, but with your shade tree you are set!

I used the polycarbonate to cover the screened areas of our coop for the winter. Still lets in light and I can unscrew it if need be. Pine, I don't think they are talking about corroplast. That stuff is usually used as packing or sign making material. Those infernal political signs that crop up in peoples yards are made of corroplast. If I remember correctly, the polycarbonate roofing used to go by the trade name of Ornite. Green, grey, opaque, and clear can be had. You see it often on the tops and sides of greenhouses.
Steve

LynneP nailed it. Unless coop is really tall and well ventilated, it could really get too hot in there. I think translucent is better. Some people have posted issues here regarding too much light making it so the chooks will not use their nests.

Hard to beat windows that open and close. Can control ventilation and temps so easily with them. I use a ceiling fan in really hot weather. It is for exhaust only and is directly under the turbine vent. Will not use unless temp exceeds 90. Great with all four windows open and that thing running. Constant gentle breeze across coop and roost poles. I have a lot of permanent ventilation overhead from 8 ft to 10 ft ht year-round. Can close coop completely all night in winter and still breathes beautifully with no humidity buildup.

Gsim-
where are pictures of that coop? I would love to see it.
I am building/retrofitting a large shed into a coop & Brooder area, Ceiling is roughly 12' and I could use plans for upper ventillation and maybe even a large Fan/vent on one end (instead of Roofline).

Back
Top Bottom