1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Corrugated Roofing Opinions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lunkerchicken, May 10, 2009.

1. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    What would you like to know about it ?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That is what I have to cover the run. It's been up about 5-6 years with no damage. I drilled holes in it and zip-tied to the chainlink panels. The zipties have started failing so I'll be replacing them this summer. I put a pipe down the center so there is a slight bow, so the rain will run off. Any questions?

Imp- It also does a great job of growing moss here in the wet Pacific North West.

4. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you. I am just weighing some roofing options for my run and wanted some opinions - thanks again. I may just have to pick some up tomorrow.

5. BiggKountry

BiggKountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    I used this on my coop. The stuff is great. Get the galvanized screws with rubber grommets. They are usually right next to the panels. All you do is screw the panels down just until the rubber expands a bit. I already had my first rainstorm with them and no leaks.

Good luck.

6. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    It looks like what my DH use on our coop as well. It hasn't been up long but we've had quite a bit of rain and no leaks.

7. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I used something called Ondura. Its a pressed materal. I got it at one of the home centers. Easy to work with and very attractive. Mine has been on for a year and doing well.

8. Poultra

Poultra Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    How easy is this stuff (the Tuftex) to cut? I would like to get some for the roof of my coop but the 8' sections are too long. The 12' sections cut in half would be perfect. Could I use a circular saw? Hack saw?

Thanks!
    Katie

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If it's anything like Suntuf or Palruf, and I would guess it probably is, you can cut it with scissors (or any of a number of other devices)... no problem whatsoever.

Highly recommend using the gasketed roofing screws; and make real sure you read the manufacturer's recommendations as to spacing of supports and how much overhang is acceptible.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

We have lexan clear on a solar porch, its not great at holding in heat, but when the sun is out in the fall and spring, we use it to "free" heat our house for the day.
    I just recently visited a friends coop, its awsome, no windows, rafters made from trees, perches made from trees that worked its way to the ceiling that was clear plastic roofing. A super interesting way to go, its also in under the trees so over heating isn't likely until winter when it will get the sun. He also has a floressant light mounted verticly on a stud for safety and lower energy usage.
    Good luck on your choices, thought I'd share a few of my experiences!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by