coryza, cull them all???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MakNat, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    tried to search this, just a quick question. I (stupid me) brought in a sick bird not knowing about a year ago. Narrowed it down to coryza.... It slowly creeps throught the flock and I SADLY have culled every bird once they get to the stinky snot... Everyone has fresh chicken breath now and there is no sneezing. Ofcourse they've been with the sick birds. They are from 9 months to 4 years old now. About 30 of them. What to do? Would it help to run the antibiotic through the remaining? Don't have the name on me now, but it is actually a med for treating coryza. Should I just do it, then only raise babies out of what I have now? I plan to never sell or buy birds from anywhere again. Just day olds from hatcheries. thanks

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Your current birds have all been exposed to Coryza. They can live through it but they'll always be carriers. So, it's up to you what to do with them. You can keep them. DO NOT SELL OR GIVE THEM AWAY to someone else, it will just infect more birds. If you kill all of your birds, disinfect properly before getting more. http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/15/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If they arnt showing signs of the disease, why treat them? They are most likely carriers from the first outbreak and wont show signs unless they are stressed in some manner. You will have to maintain a closed flock. Perhaps you are thinking about sulmet in conjunction with tylan or baytril usage to treat them if there's another outbreak.

4. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    So this means if I keep them, their babys and any hatchery chicks will get sick too. I can't, I JUST CAN"T kill some of these guys. My 2 roosters I v'e raised from babies Hoss is 5 now and Kernul is 3..... We only have them for eggs, pets and occasional stew bird. If I hatch out of these can I treat the babies young, before breakouts and hopefully weed it out that way? I plan to NEVER SELL< BUY OR GIVE ANY of the away. Closed flock only!

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    certainly maintain a closed flock. i don't recommend you breed them either. just let them live out the rest of thier lives, maybe cull the ones you can, keep the ones you can't. when they are all gone, use vercon (sp?) to disinfect everything. i swear that stuff'll kill anything. best of luck to you.

--CG

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I would keep them and let them live out their lives. No new birds mixed in with them. If you need treatment use Tylan.

Want to buy new birds then keep them on different part of your property far away from infected ones. You will have to use precautions to not spread it to your new flock. It can be done but will be extra work for you.

Having pet ones that you care about and appear healthy and you enjoy them. Seems so cruel to kill them doesn't it?

7. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    You can use Denegard also. It is labeled for pigs.
    If you do hatch or get hatchery chicks if you do in fact have coryza in your flock they too will be carriers at some point. But if you intend on having a closed flock I don't see why you couldn't get them. It will continue the cycle though. But it could be years before all of your original flock is gone so it would be a while before you could get new birds to start from scratch.
    And if you do hatch and get hatchery chicks then you would have to wait intil they expire to start fresh.
    I can understand not wanting to cull. I think keeping a closed flock would be a workable solution.

I think coryza is more common in flocks then people realize. Good thing you are on top of it !! [​IMG]

8. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    One more question! They live with my 6 muscoveys, who seem resilant!! (sp?). Can the ducks carry this disease?? I mean, if All my chickens do wind up gone and I still have my ducks, even after some time and MAJOR clean up, will the next chickens get sick if the ducks stay???

This is Gertude. She was my husband's FAVORITE hen. SHe has been sick for awhile and I blew it off. Just so excited he liked one, he always hand feed her hard boiled eggs

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by