Coryza?

antheat

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Okmulgee
Diagnosis and treatment?

Henny Penny is sneezing and it smells awful so I think it may be Coryza - how do I treat?

What is the best policy to follow as I have chicks on the ground and currently have eggs due to hatch?
sad.png
sad.png

thanks

Anthea

She has been separate in a cage in the general area - how far away from the coop area (which is actually part of our garage) does she need to be?

thanks

Anthea

Which injectable and what dosage?

I see two, Gallimycin 100 and Gallimycin 200.

I do have Tylan 50 on hand, can I use that and if so, what dosage?

thanks

Anthea

Last edited:
We had a fight with Coryza a few years ago.

It was my understanding that even if a bird survived the infection, they were still a carrier and could infect others.

Since we were starting a breeding program, I could not in good faith ever let a bird out of here that might have been exposed to it. It spread to my young birds in a couple of weeks, and I had to put everything down. I let the yard sit vacant all winter. What I read said at least 60 days for it to die off.

Sorry to hear such a terrible thing may be happening again. 2 years later and I am still very angry with the person that would bring sick birds to an auction, and angry with myself for not following quarentine procedures.
JimD

Ack, what worries me is the young chicks that have just hatched.

Is there a chance I can save them or should I just take a deep breath and cull everyone?

Anthea

Practically speaking here, this does not spread from hen to egg, so if I only plan to sell hatching eggs, not live birds...

Well, that doesn't work either, does it?!

Rats

Anthea

How do I know for SURE its Coryza?

I picked up Henny Penny and she doesn't have an odor clinging to her - I do have broody hens and hens with chicks in that same area who have the most awful smelling poops so how do I tell the difference between broody hen poop smell and Coryza?

I should have asked that right off the bat.

I've been treating Henny Penny with Pen-G for the past week as she has wounds/infection from being overbred. She was gurgling and breathing heavily, its only now that she has started sneezing.

Can I switch and use Tylan and see if that makes a difference? and if so, what dosage to use? I have Tylan 50 injectable.

Thanks

Anthea

Back
Top Bottom