Coryza?

eamoret

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Orange, VA
I bought two Jersey Giant pullets on June 7th. They both have this poopy smell around their head, which I've found is coming from their nasal passages. Every once in awhile one of them has a crusted boogery thing next to it's nostril. It appears there is a bit of clear discharge as well. I just dusted all of our chickens for lice, and I held these ones upside down to put the powder on them and their noses seemed to fill up with this clear stuff when they were upside down. It smells exactly like chicken poop. They just smell like they are covered in feces all the time, but they are quite clean. I bathed them a few days ago. Their feathers are quite dull too. Perhaps they are vitamin deficient as well. I started giving them a beta carotene supplement, but I'm concerned this might be coryza. There's no other symptoms of it though, besides the smelly nasal stuff. Otherwise, they seem healthy. They eat and drink normally, free range just fine. I don't hear any respiratory rattling in their lungs. They are developing normally. I've had them for over two weeks now. If it was coryza would they show any other symptoms by now? Also, they have been around my flock the whole time. I'm stupid and didn't quarantine. The rest of the flock seems perfectly normal. Nothing weird going on with them at all.

Back
Top Bottom