Costa Rican Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Picco, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I was in Costa Rica for four weeks during December and January doing primate research and I came across several flocks of chickens (pollos). I was hoping to see some interesting breeds but all I saw were common breeds found in the US. I saw several polish and a few others I wasn't sure about. here are two pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    To me the first one looks like a gold Brabanter rooster. The second could be a buff laced polish, or I have also seen Brabanters come in different colors that are not as common here, but usually their crest is not so large. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brab/BRKBrabanter.html Here are some pics from feathersite.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Wow!! [​IMG] Are those green legs on that rooster? Wild!

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Cool looking chickens! Anyone have any of these birds? I sure would like to have some.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    im from costa rica and i remember seeing that kind of chickens, my mother`s family lives in the countryside and they used to have a lot of chickens, i remember naked neck ,and my aunt gave one brownish naked neck pullet i named her gaudy but the problem was i used to live in the city and i can not have chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by