Cottontail Question

mistyseptember

Songster
15 Years
Apr 1, 2007
North Central Pennsylvania
My cat killed two little bunnies over the last 24 hours. Yesterday he killed one, caught 2 that we retrieved from him. We initially tried returning the bunnies to the nest, but then he killed another today and the last survivor was being trapped between the cat and the dog so we picked it up.

We're trying to keep the cats in. Easier said than done. Is it safe to relocate it well away from our animals? It is probably 3ish weeks old. Eyes and ears are open, it cleans itself. Without siblings for warmth will he have a chance or should we keep it inside?

I know it is best in the wild but I also don't want to allow the dog and cats torture it.

I contacted a rehabber but no response. Animal shelters and such are closed here. Any suggestions appreciated.

My cat killed two little bunnies over the last 24 hours. Yesterday he killed one, caught 2 that we retrieved from him. We initially tried returning the bunnies to the nest, but then he killed another today and the last survivor was being trapped between the cat and the dog so we picked it up.

We're trying to keep the cats in. Easier said than done. Is it safe to relocate it well away from our animals? It is probably 3ish weeks old. Eyes and ears are open, it cleans itself. Without siblings for warmth will he have a chance or should we keep it inside?

I know it is best in the wild but I also don't want to allow the dog and cats torture it.

I contacted a rehabber but no response. Animal shelters and such are closed here. Any suggestions appreciated.
Can you post a pic of it? It's probably weaned. I'd guess it's safe to relocate, honestly.

Can you post a pic of it? It's probably weaned. I'd guess it's safe to relocate, honestly.
It got quite active in the box so we decided to lock the cats up and return it to where the nest is. If it was not weaned we had nothing to offer it. We'll keep the cats in the best we can, they are jerks, and keep the dogs leashed. My husband just got home and said they were all over the yard today so it seems they were making forays out of the nest. I feel like it has a better chance being in the wild than in my house. Hopefully, we made the right choice!

It got quite active in the box so we decided to lock the cats up and return it to where the nest is. If it was not weaned we had nothing to offer it. We'll keep the cats in the best we can, they are jerks, and keep the dogs leashed. My husband just got home and said they were all over the yard today so it seems they were making forays out of the nest. I feel like it has a better chance being in the wild than in my house. Hopefully, we made the right choice!
Ok! Sounds like he should do fine. It's mother probably will not return, but at three weeks they should be able to survive on their own.
If you find him or any siblings again, I'd try to relocate.
Hopefully he does ok!

Back
Top Bottom