1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix and Button Quail Info NEEDED

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Nov 2, 2010.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am thinking of getting coturnix or button quail next spring, and I need info on them, which are the tamest?

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Not to be rude, but if you had used the search feature at all you would have found your answer. Coturnix are very tame, buttons almost never tame down. They (buttons) are mostly 'looking at' birds.

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Yeah, I JUST thought of that!!! Thanks [​IMG]

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Any more info?

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    There is a large amount of information here on the boards. I suggest starting with the most recent topic and reading. As time allows, continue to read older threads. If you are only interested in coturnix and button quail then you might skip threads with things like "Bobwhite" or other quail species in the thread title.

Of course, if you have an emergency you could do a quick search and post your question. People will not get upset with you for that. However, they will get a bit annoyed if you ask a question that has been answered dozens of times in the last month. The best way to avoid doing this is to 1) use the search engine and 2) read old threads.

It's best if you do this before you get your birds.

I see that your signature line says that you have 36 quail. What kind do you have?

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Bobwhite!! [​IMG]

7. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I only have Button Quail. None of them are friendly, despite my very best efforts. A few will sometimes eat meal worms out of my hand, most of them "freak out" whenever I put a hand inside their cage. That's just my experience of course. I've only owned about 25 BQ throughout the years, some breeders may have better luck taming theirs.

~KimberlyJ

8. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I mostly want tuxedo corturnix!! [​IMG]

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Tuxedo Coturnix is just a variety. Same info as any other Japanese Coturnix. You can look through the threads. I provide detailed info on my website.

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Tuxedo is just a color. A coturnix can come in all sorts of colors. If you are going to hatch eggs I have some to sell. I can only sell about 2 dozen at a time though thanks to a molt. If I were you I would start out with about 10 coturnix. They reproduce like rats so you could have a hundred in a month or two. This may seem unrealistic, but it is true. I started with a dozen then got about 130 sold off to about 65 for the winter. Since you already have bobwhites it should be a lot easier than starting out having no experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by