Coturnix Feed after 6 weeks?

Bluemonster107

Songster
Apr 16, 2019
Fresno, California
I was just reading the back of the feed bag and it said something about changing at 6 weeks to a grower or something other than the “starter” for quail, well not a specific type of quail, just generalized.... so for my coturnix quail...
can I continue to feed the same feed their whole life or is there a recommendation on what to change to? Picture of what I use attached. Thanks

Attachments

• 55F3C925-32CD-42D7-BA23-C22DF5C37649.jpeg
    55F3C925-32CD-42D7-BA23-C22DF5C37649.jpeg
    652 KB · Views: 29
You can continue to feed that (since it's non-medicated) but ADD a separate dish of whatever form of calcium supplement you prefer on the side. Ground up egg shell, oyster shell, grit plus calcium, etc. as Chick starters do not contain enough calcium for laying hens. If you opt to grind your own egg shells either do so immediately after you've opened the eggs or bake the shells to dehydrate them (and makes for a smoother grind as well) and then grind them. Storage should be in an air tight container, I use an old pickle jar. Too much calcium in the diet of chicks and cocks leads to health issues down the road. Fortunately, birds seem to be born with this knowledge and those that don't need it, avoid it.
You can also elect to change their feed altogether into plain game bird feed, ensuring that the protein level is at least 24%. I don't see a real benefit to the change since you'd still want to serve calcium on the side.
Either way, when your birds molt, you'll want to increase their protein significantly to speed up the re-feathering process; Grinding some dry cat food (typically 30% protein) and mixing that 50/50 ratio (by weight, not volume) with your normal quail feed, will help.

@Tycine1 .. thanks!! Yea.. I didn’t see another feed that was specifically for game bird and had as high of protein then the one I’m using... so I guess I will just stick with what I have.. and on the extra calcium... I do buy calcium powder for my reptiles insect feed(one with d3 and one without in pic)... can I use that on the feed... well, mixed up? And if so.. a certain ratio? Or just better to do a separate dish of say oyster shells?

Attachments

• 29581D67-E3B7-431D-AD71-52CE26708B45.jpeg
    29581D67-E3B7-431D-AD71-52CE26708B45.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 4
I recommend a separate dish regardless of which you serve; your cocks and chicks shouldn't get extra calcium but your hens will thank you for it. The same stuff you give the reptiles will work fine and the D3 is a bonus :) I serve calcium in an old round sardine tin (the kind with the pop top lid for a nice not-sharp edge), and sometimes I catch the hens dust bathing in it while they nibble... whatever floats their boat, right? (Thankfully calcium is cheap!)

Back
Top Bottom