1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix hatchling with leg problems... UPDATE: It died...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quiltnchik, Sep 1, 2009.

1. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    I had Coturnix chicks hatch out yesterday and last night. I have one runt that is questionable, and another that is HUGE compared to the rest, but is unable to walk. S/he can't get its legs under it and just slides around on its belly and chin. Should I give it time to see if it gets stronger or do I need to cull this chick?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I had a chick like that. You could try to sort it out by making a splint. I unfortunately had to cull it yesterday. You may want to wait a while, but keep it seperate, my one got trampled on which didn't help. Someone on here is bound to give you a definite answer, but my opinion is give it a few days, and if it doesn't improve cull.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Splint It And Give It Time.

4. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Forgive me, as I have no input on the issue at hand. But, as my hatch approaches I'm wondering how one culls a chick?

5. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I have one with a bum leg too, it hangs out to the side, but the bird seems healthy and is eating and drinking fine. I'd give it time, unless you notice suffering. HenZ

6. quiltnchik

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    I went to check on it a bit ago and it was limp and gasping. I waited a few minutes, and then it shuddered and died, so I guess there was some reason it wasn't meant to live. My DS took it out and buried it for me. Thanks for the input from everyone.

7. quiltnchik

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:The easiest way is to find a bowl and/or bucket with a lid, then put a smaller bowl inside containing baking soda and vinegar. Put the chick in the larger bowl/bucket and close the lid. The gasses given off by the baking soda/vinegar combination will kill it...

8. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    Quote:Thumb in the wind pipe, here.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK