Coturnix hatchling with leg problems... UPDATE: It died...

quiltnchik

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Virginia
I had Coturnix chicks hatch out yesterday and last night. I have one runt that is questionable, and another that is HUGE compared to the rest, but is unable to walk. S/he can't get its legs under it and just slides around on its belly and chin. Should I give it time to see if it gets stronger or do I need to cull this chick?

Last edited:
I had a chick like that. You could try to sort it out by making a splint. I unfortunately had to cull it yesterday. You may want to wait a while, but keep it seperate, my one got trampled on which didn't help. Someone on here is bound to give you a definite answer, but my opinion is give it a few days, and if it doesn't improve cull.

I have one with a bum leg too, it hangs out to the side, but the bird seems healthy and is eating and drinking fine. I'd give it time, unless you notice suffering. HenZ

I went to check on it a bit ago and it was limp and gasping. I waited a few minutes, and then it shuddered and died, so I guess there was some reason it wasn't meant to live. My DS took it out and buried it for me. Thanks for the input from everyone.

Quote:
The easiest way is to find a bowl and/or bucket with a lid, then put a smaller bowl inside containing baking soda and vinegar. Put the chick in the larger bowl/bucket and close the lid. The gasses given off by the baking soda/vinegar combination will kill it...

I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom