Coturnix Housing?

I don't have a close up yet. Just took this from my balcony.

One of my biggest challenges is keeping the babies cool enough. It was 98f here yesterday. As they are 2 weeks old they need to be a lot cooler than that. We take them out on little runs. Tell me what you think of my big chick running free.

Thanks
smile.png

Regarding this type of housing for coturnix quail, I think the big question is are you planning on breeding or just having a few females?
smile.png

Here are my four hens (my pet group) in their setup, inside for the winter. This kind of cage is very popular so there is a lot available second hand for more than half off of retail.
@Binki - thank you for the photo and awesome info! We have a large rabbit hutch, as well as a smaller indoor cage, both of which we've been eyeing as potential quail housing - and we'd also like to build them a safe area to be in out in the yard in the nice weather (we live in New Hampshire and are right now quite covered with snow and ice :) ) so we are doing tons of research and making sure we get our information all straight so we keep them healthy and happy. Right now, we have rabbits living colony-style out back but they don't mind the winter one bit - the quail will be a different story :)

Quails are fine in the cold as long as they don't get wet mine are in the snow outside right now I just put a microwave heat pad under their water and in their house there is a pic of a lady who has quail on her balcony in -30 degrees Celsius in Montreal and they are fine :)

I don't have a close up yet. Just took this from my balcony.

One of my biggest challenges is keeping the babies cool enough. It was 98f here yesterday. As they are 2 weeks old they need to be a lot cooler than that. We take them out on little runs. Tell me what you think of my big chick running free.

Hahaha!! Omgosh, she is bigger, and is that quail just relaxing on his back?? The face ahhh
1f602.png
1f60d.png

I've read that some coturnix like to bathe in water, or at least stand in it :p perhaps try a splash dish and see what they do? Ugh, but the moisture...
1f606.png

@BinkiForgot to say I set my big eggs last Saturday. Only 11 days to go!

Eek! How many again? Do they look like just normal eggs but bigger? Oh today I was sweet talking the quail and they were stretching and listening and ****** Golden Girl "walked tall" over to Pengu and started pecking her head, ugh haha I had to "tank her" for a few minutes... Then I coughed, twice... It caused her to spaz again and jump on Pengu, wth quail?!! Tanked again for several minutes lol I realize I have an extremely suspicious hen, Robby. Even if it's just been two minutes she always has to investigate her
1f643.png
. Lol I now have to ignore them until Golden Girl feels less attached :p ridiculous!

@Binki
 - thank you for the photo and awesome info!  We have a large rabbit hutch, as well as a smaller indoor cage, both of which we've been eyeing as potential quail housing - and we'd also like to build them a safe area to be in out in the yard in the nice weather (we live in New Hampshire and are right now quite covered with snow and ice :) ) so we are doing tons of research and making sure we get our information all straight so we keep them healthy and happy.  Right now, we have rabbits living colony-style out back but they don't mind the winter one bit - the quail will be a different story :) 

You're very welcome :D You could try a quail tractor for during the day if you don't mind moving them in the warmer weather :) Although I wonder if you have fox there? I don't have experience but I hear they're great diggers and can be bold during the day?
1f914.png

Quails are fine in the cold as long as they don't get wet mine are in the snow outside right now I just put a microwave heat pad under their water and in their house there is a pic of a lady who has quail on her balcony in -30 degrees Celsius in Montreal and they are fine :)

Ah I seen that post too, it gave me the nerve to winter my quail in the garage (I'm in Canada - Ontario) :)

Always important to have the quail acclimate before suddenly introducing them to freezing temperatures or you may end up with some frozen birds :S

Quails are fine in the cold as long as they don't get wet mine are in the snow outside right now I just put a microwave heat pad under their water and in their house there is a pic of a lady who has quail on her balcony in -30 degrees Celsius in Montreal and they are fine
smile.png

Awesome - thank you! I've read in a few places that you have to be careful if you have them outside in the cold, as their eggs can freeze... but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. Has that been an issue for you with them out in winter?

@Binki
"Hahaha!! Omgosh, she is bigger, and is that quail just relaxing on his back?? The face ahhh
1f602.png
1f60d.png
"

I found that children are very experimental when it comes to animals. As far as they are concerned, if it can be done to a chook, it can be done to any animal. I will take a small video of the process as it is sooooo cute watching their legs relax into a stretch pose.

I have set 15 eggs ranging from 16-12gm. A normal quail egg can be 8-12gm.

I am doing the hatching at a nursing home as an activity for the residents. I will print out some interesting quail facts with pictures as part of the education factor.

3potatoes it doesn't get as cold as Montreal here it's only been down to a couple of degrees below freezing I have only had them since Nov so I have had no eggs from them as not enough light in the uk ! X I have also put an extra frame over my run covered with a clear tarp to let in light but keep out rain etc but it did collapse a tad with the snow on it that then froze but all sorted again now ! X

@Binki
"Hahaha!! Omgosh, she is bigger, and is that quail just relaxing on his back?? The face ahhh
1f602.png
1f60d.png
"

I found that children are very experimental when it comes to animals. As far as they are concerned, if it can be done to a chook, it can be done to any animal. I will take a small video of the process as it is sooooo cute watching their legs relax into a stretch pose.

I have set 15 eggs ranging from 16-12gm. A normal quail egg can be 8-12gm.

I am doing the hatching at a nursing home as an activity for the residents. I will print out some interesting quail facts with pictures as part of the education factor.

Haha my friend and I would love to see your video - she's always trying to "put animals on their backs" like the chickens and rabbit because she heard it calms them but that doesn't seem to be the effect with the chickens
1f61c.png
Maybe we could use some tips from your video?
1f917.png

Wow that's awesome for the elderly to see, from egg to rapidly growing chick, I literally said it would be unique and interesting entertainment in a nursing home because most people's brooders become more popular than their tv
1f60a.png

I just use a wooden pen with a hardware cloth bottom and a poop drawer under that once they are old enough for the big pen. The thing is six feet wide, three feet high, and three foot deep. I've never had any problem with cut feet. It's always worked well and when I need to clean the droppings I just dump the drawer into my composter. I could see that being a problem though depending on the food they are getting.
I have a custom pvc tube feeder and use the spring loaded watering cups for water. Once a week I give them a shoe box with non silica sand for a bath.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom