Coturnix in a Brooder - When to split up

keckels

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
I hatched out 20+ Cot's that are just today 2 weeks old & been testing their wings for several days. I've researched pen size & bird requirements, but I guess I missed the part about when to sort the babies?

SORT THE BABIES??
hu.gif

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SORT THEM?

Most do not seperate until there old enough to sex/lay eggs/butcher which is 7 weeks or so.Hope thats what you were asking ...cva34

That did sound kind of weird when I posted it. (guess it's because it was) Couldn't really find the right words, but I thought, well, we "sort" cattle & we "sort" hogs. I don't plan on keeping all 20+ in one cage, but right now they are still under a light and don't seem crowded in the big rubbermaid brooder, but they are growing fast. Plan on splitting them between 2-3 cages.

Sounds like around 7 wks. Thanks

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if your birds are outgrowing their brooder, then you can sort them as you like, then duplicate the their brooder setup. You should be fine with that. In most cases, coturnix are pretty much grown at 7 weeks, so you can move them outside to their pens provided the weather permits.

Back
Top Bottom