Coturnix in a Brooder - When to split up

Discussion in 'Quail' started by keckels, Nov 25, 2011.

1. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    I hatched out 20+ Cot's that are just today 2 weeks old & been testing their wings for several days. I've researched pen size & bird requirements, but I guess I missed the part about when to sort the babies?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SORT THE BABIES?? [​IMG]

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SORT THEM?

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    [​IMG]

4. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Most do not seperate until there old enough to sex/lay eggs/butcher which is 7 weeks or so.Hope thats what you were asking ...cva34

5. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    That did sound kind of weird when I posted it. (guess it's because it was) Couldn't really find the right words, but I thought, well, we "sort" cattle & we "sort" hogs. I don't plan on keeping all 20+ in one cage, but right now they are still under a light and don't seem crowded in the big rubbermaid brooder, but they are growing fast. Plan on splitting them between 2-3 cages.

Sounds like around 7 wks. Thanks

Quote:

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:
    Well, if your birds are outgrowing their brooder, then you can sort them as you like, then duplicate the their brooder setup. You should be fine with that. In most cases, coturnix are pretty much grown at 7 weeks, so you can move them outside to their pens provided the weather permits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by