Coturnix or Bobwhite? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MoMo15, Sep 2, 2011.

1. MoMo15

MoMo15 New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    I want to breed and raise quails for meat. I am new at raising any animals besides hamsters. I have heard alot about both Coturnix and Bobwhite quail but I don't know which is better. Any suggestions for this beginner?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Coturnix Are The Production Birds Of Teh Gamebird World... Roaches Of The Quail World, And Most Docile And Easily Handled. Bobs Are Slow, Do Not Produce Anywhere Near The Amount Of Eggs Coturnix Do And Are Extremely Agressive And Spastic Easily Requiring 10x's More Output In Time, Money, And Effort, However Most Folks Tend To Think Bobs Are More Tasty

3. MoMo15

MoMo15 New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    Ok. Thank you! Know anywhere I can order hatching eggs?

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Bobs are insane.. I keep telling myself that I don't NEED any bobs... but part of my brain is just sick enough to want me to try raising them anyway...

So far I haven't given in.... but i know its only a matter of time.....

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:dont give in.... Lol. Oh and [​IMG] MoMo15 !!!

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I suggest you take a course in Bobwhite Psychology first. Otherwise, you will be faced with raising creatures that are as bipolar as Charles Manson that may take you by surprise..... [​IMG]

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I suggest you take a course in Bobwhite Psychology first. Otherwise, you will be faced with raising creatures that are as bipolar as Charles Manson that may take you by surprise..... [​IMG]

they're insane.. pure and simple.. kind of a Jekyll and Hyde type of critter.. at least that's what Ive gathered from everyone here....
    but even so... i know I don't NEED any Bobs.... (i know.. keep repeating that over and over until I convince myself)... but still.. part of my brain is just sick and twisted enough...

*backs away from the bob eggs .. douses them with holy water... and hides under a rock*

8. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Shelleyd2008 sells coturnix eggs;-)

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.

they're insane.. pure and simple.. kind of a Jekyll and Hyde type of critter.. at least that's what Ive gathered from everyone here....
    but even so... i know I don't NEED any Bobs.... (i know.. keep repeating that over and over until I convince myself)... but still.. part of my brain is just sick and twisted enough...

*backs away from the bob eggs .. douses them with holy water... and hides under a rock*

The Jekyll part would be really nice now and then there is a more gradual learning curve to the corts the bobs you really have to pay attention hard to stay on top of them ,blue scales are twice as spazy as bobs though , gambels are sweet little birds though

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ITS FROWNED UPON TO DEAL IN OPEN THREADS. WATCH SIGNATURE LINES FROM VARIOUS POSTERS AND PM THEM, OR YOU CAN SEARCH THE BUY SELL TRADE SECTION. MANY OF US ALSO SELL ON EBAY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by